25 profound lessons from Buddha to help you overcome your worries
Buddha is a legendary figure who founded the religion named after him in India. Like other religions, his teachings centre on the idea of inner harmony, and these doctrines continue to resonate in the hearts of millions.
We here at Bright Side thought we'd share the greatest life lessons offered by this outstanding spiritual teacher, whose main principle consisted in not imposing but explaining.
- Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
- When the mind is pure, joy follows you like a shadow that never leaves.
- We are formed by our thoughts. We become what we think.
- The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely.
- Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else. You are the one who gets burned first.
- Your purpose in life is to find your purpose, and give your whole heart and soul to it.
- A fool who knows his foolishness is wise, but a fool who thinks himself wise is a fool indeed.
- Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.
- There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no torrent like greed.
- Happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what you have. It depends solely upon what you think.
- You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
- To understand everything is to forgive everything.
- You'd better be wrong a thousand times mistaking a scoundrel for a saint than be wrong just once taking a saint for a scoundrel.
- Hatred can never put an end to hatred; love alone can.
- All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
- The secret of existence is to pass beyond fear. Never fear what will become of you, the future won't be changed but the present will be peaceful instead.
- There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.
- Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
- Happiness will never come to those who fail to appreciate what they already have.
- Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
- You can carry poison in your hand unless it is wounded. Poison does not attack one who is unwounded. There is no evil for one who does not do evil.
- Even a smart man will grow stupid without self-improvement.
- Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace.
- Canal builders make the rivers change their course, archers make the arrows hit the target, carpenters bend wood to their will but wise people subdue themselves.
- Conquer yourself, and you'll win a thousand battles.
Preview illustration credit: Louise Gardner