30 sharp quotes from the great Winston Churchill
In the UK he’s been called ’’the Greatest Briton in History.’’ He was known all around the world as a crafty and deep politician who made good use of his wit against his opponents. It seems as if every morning he put on his jacket together with audacity and persistence.
We here at Bright Side collected some of the sharpest quotes from this 20th century icon. Be careful not to cut yourself!
1. It is easier to rule a nation than raise four children.
2. When I was younger I made it a rule never to take strong drinks before lunch. It is now my rule never to do so before breakfast.
3. I have achieved many things because I do not consume my energy in vain. I do not stand if I can sit, never sit if I can lie down.
4. All I want is compliance with my wishes, after a reasonable discussion.
6. Democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others
7. Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn’t happen.
8. The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of goods; the inherent virtue of socialism is equal sharing of miseries.
9. In my country, the authorities are proud of the fact that they are the servants of the state; to be his host would be considered a disgrace.
10. A diplomat is a man who thinks twice before saying nothing.
11. When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the government of my own country. I make up for lost time when I come home.
12. History is written by the victors.
13. Everyone threw the blame on me. I have noticed that they nearly always do. I suppose it is because they think I shall be able to bear it best.
14. School teachers have such powers that prime ministers can only dream about.
15. If the truth is multifaceted, the lie is polyphonic.
16. Saving money is a good habit, especially if it was done by your parents.
17. I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught.
18. There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
19. I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
20. People are good at keeping secrets they do not know about.
21. A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
22. To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
23. It is a mistake to look too far ahead. Only one link in the chain of destiny can be handled at a time.
24. All men make mistakes, but only wise men learn from their mistakes.
25. It’s easier to announce your grand intentions than to live up to them.
26. There is no finer investment for any community than putting milk into babies.
27. Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm.
28. From my experience I have realized that it is false to try fixing everything at once.
29. You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.
30. I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.
Photo credit: Life.time.com