50 stunning facts about cats
There are two types of people in the world — dog lovers and cat lovers. Cats deserve to be loved for a whole number of reasons. Not only they are cute, smart and Instagram-friendly, they have many other strong points as well that should make any one of us want to adopt a feline friend as soon as possible.
And to help you take this decision, we at Bright Side have compiled a list of the most interesting facts about our beloved kitties.
1. Female cats are usually right-handed or ’right-pawed’, while male cats are ’left-pawed.’
2. There are 17% more people with a degree among cat owners.
3. Cats cannot detect sweet tastes in food.
4. Men who own cats are happier in love.
5. A cat’s brain is similar to a human brain in that the same regions produce emotions.
6. Cats rub up against people to mark them as their territory.
7. A fondness or love for cats is called ailurophilia.
8. Owning a cat reduces the risk of having a stroke or a heart attack by one third.
9. Generally, cats have a lower social IQ than dogs, but they’re able to solve more difficult cognitive tasks...when they feel like it.
10. Cats are often lactose intolerant. So stop giving them milk!
11.Unlike the way it’s depicted in cartoons, it’s better not to feed cats raw fish.
12. Isaac Newton is believed to have invented the cat flap.
13. A cat’s purring can be its way of recovering from illness, but at the same time it can also be a sign of nervousness or contentment.
14. There is a connection between the purring noise cats make and a faster pace at which bone fractures heal. The frequency of a cat’s purring is similar to the speed of its recovery.
15. Cats spend 70% of their lives sleeping.
16. Cats can make over 100 types of vocal sounds, while dogs are only able to make 10.
17. The length of the largest cat is 48.5 inches (1.23 m).
18. Cats can manipulate people using their meowing sounds. For instance, when they’re hungry they can imitate an infant’s voice.
19. Cats have more than 20 muscles that allow their ears to move.
20. Today there are more than 500 million domestic cats in the world. Australia can legitimately be called a ’cat country’ — statistics show that there are nine cats per ten people there.
21. The first cat video uploaded on YouTube was filmed in 1894.
22. Almost 1/3 of all cat owners are certain that their pets can read their minds.
23. A cat named Dusty holds the record for giving birth to the largest number of kittens than any other cat in history. She gave birth to 420 kittens over the course of her life.
24. Adult cats have 30 teeth, while kittens have 26 baby teeth that fall out by the time they turn 6 months’ old.
25. A cat named Stubbs was the honorary mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, for 15 years.
26. Another cat was a candidate for mayor in Xalapa, Mexico, in 2013.
27. Abraham Lincoln kept four cats in the White House.
28. In the original Italian version of ’Cinderella’, the fairy godmother was a cat.
29. There is a monument in Scotland dedicated to a cat named Towser, who caught almost 30,000 mice during her lifetime.
30. During the Middle Ages, cats were associated with black magic and witchcraft, and burnt in baskets on top of bonfires on the day of St. John.
31. In a great many European countries as well as North America, black cats are thought to bring bad luck, but in Great Britain and Australia they are associated with good luck.
32. The surface of cat’s nose is as unique as a person’s fingerprints.
33. If a cat doesn’t try to cover over its poop, that means it’s using an aggressive method of showing you that it’s not afraid of you.
34. Usually cats have five toes on their front paws and four toes on their back paws, if they’re not polydactyl.
35. Polydactyl cats are sometimes referred to as ’Hemingway cats’ because the famous writer loved them so much.
36. Cats often wash themselves to get rid of the smell of human beings.
37. According to one legend, cats were created when a lion on Noah’s ark sneezed, and two kittens emerged.
38. In Ancient Egypt, when a pet cat died everyone in the house shaved off their eyebrows and mourned.
39. Cats use their whiskers to find out if they can fit through or into a small space.
40. Cats sweat mainly through the pads on their paws.
41. Any domestic cat can run faster than Usein Bolt.
42. Cats recognize your voice. They just prefer to ignore it.
43. Cats can’t climb down from trees facing downwards because of the way their claws are designed; they can only go backwards.
44. A cat’s eyesight is simultaneously better and worse than a human being’s. They see well in the dark but they’re also color blind.
45. Cats can travel immense distances in order to get home.
46. The largest litter of domestic cats ever recorded was 19 kittens, 15 of which survived.
47. Egyptians called cats ’Mau’.
48. There are a number of cats who survived falls from 230 meters up.
49. Cats store much more information in their brains than an iPad.
50. Cats are truly the coolest animal on Earth!
Based on materials from buzzfeed.com