15 Historical Photos That Uncover the Harsh Side of History
Even 100 years are enough to become better and make the world a better place as well. From the side of traffic and swimming costumes, to laws and social organization, the world has had to undergo a lot of changes to become the one we live in now.
There are still many things that need improvement, but here at Bright Side we want to share with you several photos that clearly show how harsh our past was and how far we’ve come already.
1. A Filipino baby with her family inside a human zoo in New York, 1906. It’s so good that there aren’t things like this in today’s world.
2. A movie theater for colored people, 1937
3. 108 yards in 4 and a half days, 1960
4. Young oyster shuckers, 1911
5. Ku Klux Klan initiation ceremony, 1900
6. People wearing plastic face protection from snowstorms. Canada, 1939. We’re pleased that they gave up this idea.
7. A man protests against unemployment, 1930s
8. The first day after Sweden changed from left-side traffic to right-side traffic, 1967
9. Marilyn Monroe sings to soldiers in Korea, 1954
10. A wire cage that was supposed to be put on the outside of windows so that babies could get more fresh air and sunshine, 1934
11. An almost empty classroom after white students refused to attend their newly desegregated school, New York, 1964
12. Women being arrested for wearing one piece swimsuits, without covering their legs, 1922
13. That time when bicycle tires were tied around the body and used as a swimming aid. Germany, 1925. A thankful shout-out to whoever developed it into something more acceptable.
14. A flock of 600 sheep are used as lawnmowers and led from Hyde Park to Green Park. London, 1931
15. Residents of West Berlin show their babies to their parents who are living on the Eastern side, 1961
What do you think should be the next thing the world needs to overcome? Let’s discuss the most important issues in the comments.
Preview photo credit Bain News Service / Wikimedia Commons