22 Rare Photos Showing History From Another Angle
History keeps a lot of secrets and some of them will probably stay unsolved. But the invention of photography makes it a lot easier to store the memories of the past. The first ever photograph was taken in 1826 by French scientist Joseph Nicéphore Niépce. Since then a lot has changed.
We at Bright Side collected these 22 photos to show you the other side of history.
22. British sappers were trained to defuse mines blindly so they could work in the dark, 1943
21. Women protest against the forced wearing of Hijab after the revolution, Iran, 1979
20. Traffic jam in Berlin as East Germans move into West Berlin after the fall of the Berlin Wall, 1989
19. Adolf Hitler meets the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem Haj Amin al-Husseini, Germany, 1941
18. Young woman falls unconscious from the heat in front of Princess Elizabeth inspecting a guard of honor in the Women’s Royal Army Corps in Shrewsbury, England, July 6, 1949
17. Dinner at Windows On The World in The World Trade Center (Tower One), New York, 1993
16. A man at Heemskerk Beach is fined for not wearing decent clothes, Netherlands, 1931
15. Chinese suicide bomber putting on an explosive vest made out of hand grenades to use in an attack on Japanese tanks at the Battle of Taierzhuang, 1938
14. Stockholm, the day after Sweden changed driving from the left-hand side of the road to the right, September 3, 1967
13. First African-American astronaut Robert Lawrence on June 30, 1967. Unfortunately, he died in an airplane crash on December 8, 1967 and didn’t have a chance to go into space.
12. An American soldier and his best friend — baby kangaroo, Australia, 1942
11. Portable radio in a straw hat, made by an American inventor, 1931
10. Felix Wehrle — a man with incredibly stretchy skin, early 1900’s
9. Dogs pulling sleds during first Australasian Antarctic expedition, 1911-1914
8. John Jacob Astor IV, his 19-year-old wife Madeleine, and dog Kitty headed for the Titanic, 1912. He and Kitty did not survive. Madeleine survived and later gave birth to their son John Jacob Astor V.
7. A child receiving sun therapy, 1928
6. Opening of the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, May 27,1937
5. A child gives another child a flower shortly after they arrive at Auschwitz, May 1944. Everyone in the photo was dead within hours.
4. Ali and Stallone pretending to fight at the Oscars, 1976
3. 5-year-old girl, after working all day, was tired and refused to be photographed. Her mother said, “Oh, she’s just being ugly, and picking shrimp is very hard on the fingers.” Mississippi, 1911
2. Line to the first McDonalds in Moscow, January 31, 1990
1. Duke Kahanamoku, the man who popularized surfing around the world, Hawaii, 1920
Do you like looking at old photos? Are there any rare photos that you would like to share with us?
Let us know your opinion in the comments below!
Preview photo credit IWM