35 Astounding Historical Photos That Shed Light on the Past
Photos shown in this article are witnesses to the most important events in history. They are imbued with the atmospheres of different eras that will never happen again. With the help of these shots, we can make short trips to the past to cherish every captured moment and feel a witness to these big events.
Bright Side collected a new list of archive photos. Before you make a leap to the past, get yourself a cup of hot tea to make your trip more comfortable.
35. Irish children jeer at British troops in Derry, Northern Ireland, 1972
34. Helen, an American Indian telephone and switchboard operator, Montana, 1925
33. French soldiers eat at a police station in Neuvilly after spending days in the trenches in heavy rain, 1915.
32. Muhammad Ali Vs. Cleveland Williams. Ali won the bout through a technical knockout in the third round, 1966
31. Nazi rally in the Cathedral of Light, 1937
30. Kurt Cobain having a smoke with Ronald McDonald in Singapore, 1992
29. North American B-25s are pictured flying past Mount Vesuvius in Italy as lava and ash spew from the top of the erupting volcano, 1944
28. Trench Warfare. Photo was taken by an official British Photographer during World War I,1917
27. Lt. Custer & Union Troops,1862 (colorized)
26. Ebony Magazine ran a feature called, “What They May Look Like In The Year 2000.” Here’s Michael Jackson’s future portrait, 1985
25. Young Pioneers Defence, Leningrad, 1937
24. JFK’s funeral at the Capitol, November 1963
23. Mississippi’s First Interracial Couple, August 3, 1970
22. The Greensboro sit-ins. A series of nonviolent protests in Greensboro, North Carolina, 1960
21. Roza Georgiyevna Shanina was one of the best Soviet snipers, 1943
20. Men celebrating the end of prohibition, December 5, 1933
19. Ruth Lee, a hostess at a Chinese restaurant, flies a Chinese flag so she isn’t mistaken for Japanese when she sunbathes on her days off in Miami, Dec. 15, 1941 (Colorized)
18. Rally against Nazism in New York, Madison Square Garden, 1937
17. The first man to walk on the Moon — Neil Armstrong lights a cigar, March 1969
16. Thanksgiving on the frontline, World War 2 (colorized)
15. Winston Churchill and Charlie Chaplin on the set of City Lights, September 24, 1929 (colorized)
14. The crowd in Times Square, New York City celebrating the surrender of Germany, May 7th, 1945.
13. “Jewish Market” New York, Upper Eastside, 1895 (colored photo)
12. Hiroshima, before and after the atomic bombing on August 6th, 1945
11. A German World War I U-boat stranded on the south coast of England after the surrender, 1918
10. Portrait of a bride and groom; the hat is adorned with feathers for luck, Kraków, Poland.
9. View of Boston, the oldest surviving aerial photograph ever taken, October 13th, 1860
8. A girl trying to cut a sunbeam, 1886
7. This Chicago mother hides her face from cameras as she puts a “4 Children For Sale” in her front yard.
6. A Muslim woman covers the yellow star of her Jewish neighbor with her veil to protect her, Sarajevo, 1941.
5. The day of Reich’s veterans, 1939
4. Boy receiving a new pair of shoes at an orphanage in Austria, 1946
3. Hotel owner pouring acid in the pool while black people swim in it, California, 1964
2. Anne Frank’s father Otto, revisiting the attic where they hid from the Nazis, 1960
1. Captured flags of the defeated Third Reich being displayed during the victory parade in Red Square, Moscow, June 24, 1945
Which of these photos impressed you the most? Why? Please share your opinion in the comments!