16 Pieces of Advice From Lady Diana’s Stylist That Can Help You Look Great
Anna Harvey is a legendary stylist from Vogue magazine and was the late Princess Diana’s stylist. She knows everything about how to look perfect no matter how old or wealthy you are. The ever-changing fashion industry forces people to adapt, so there is no such thing as a universal style forever. But there are some timeless tips that can help you to always look perfect.
We at Bright Side agree that it’s important to keep trying new styles in fashion, and are excited to share the recommendations we learned from this famous stylist.
1. Follow the A-shape rule.
The so-called A-shaped skirts suit almost everyone. Such tailoring makes a person appear light. However, when choosing such a skirt, keep in mind that you should wear the same tailoring on the top. You should choose something tight to balance the fuller skirt. The same rule works the other way around: if you choose a loose-fitting top, then the clothing on the lower body should be tight. Anna says that the most important thing to remember here is balance.
2. Don’t wear clothes according to your age.
If you wear clothes that correlate with your age, you’ll probably end up in something that makes you look old. The most important thing you should remember is that there is no age when it comes to clothes. You can wear anything you like, and how you look in it depends only on how confident you are.
But of course, don’t forget about the balance and harmony in clothes in order not to look funny. Age is not the most important factor, but you should still keep it in mind.
Anna recommends looking not stylish and fashionable, but just great! For inspiration, look at celebrities who have a good sense of style like Michelle Obama, Natalia Vodianova, Kate Winslet, and Darya Zhukova.
3. Be careful with pleated skirts.
According to the stylist, pleated skirts suit only women who are in good shape: they highlight the belly and the sides. For those who want to draw attention to their waist, they should wear pleated skirts that start at the hips.
4. Go shopping with your daughter.
The stylist says that shopping should be done together with the right people in order to avoid buying something that doesn’t suit you at all. Friends may tell you that something looks good on you just because they are polite (or jealous). So, the best thing you can do is go shopping with your daughter — an adult woman who will honestly tell you what looks good on you.
5. Don’t be afraid of bright colors.
As Anna herself says, she had been fixated on black and white clothes, limiting herself to these colors only. Colorful clothes make your mood better and create a positive atmosphere around anyone who wears them.
When choosing clothes for the evening, Anna recommends forgetting about standards and giving something bright and interesting a chance. She recommends choosing sapphire, emerald, pomegranate, raspberry, and blackberry colors.
But if you still want to wear something black, the stylist recommends adding beautiful jewelry to your look. Anna says that you should also wear tights of a suitable tone.
6. Buy clothes in the right size.
When it comes to shopping, Anna talks about several things:
- Always remember that loose clothes can make you look more fit and tight clothes may only highlight the spots you’d like to hide.
- Choose coats and skinny jeans at least one size bigger. When you put a coat on top of a sweater, it should look good, so when choosing the size, base it on how you feel and not on what size the tag says.
- If something suits you, buy several pieces. Many people would agree that finding an ideal piece of clothing is really hard, so it’s reasonable to buy several pieces in advance, especially if it’s a white shirt. And if you find a pair of pants that fit you perfectly, make sure you buy one pair for wearing with heels and another one for wearing with flat shoes. The same goes for the same models of clothing but in different colors. Kate Middleton is an example of a woman who knows how to do her shopping.
- When buying a jacket, make sure that you check how comfortable you feel in it and that the size is right. When you put a jacket on, stretch your arms forward to check if it looks good on the shoulders and in the back. If you feel any discomfort, it means that this is not your size and you shouldn’t buy it.
7. Choose tights that match your skin tone.
Anna recommends buying low-rise tights that perfectly match your skin tone. The main goal you need to reach when putting on tights is to cause people confusion so they ask questions like, “Is she wearing tights?”
If you want to buy colorful tights, buy a bigger size so that the color is gradual on the leg without disappearing when the tights stretch. Remember that shiny tights make legs look thicker, and matte ones, thinner. The only exception for shiny tights is the summer: during this period, they look more natural on the leg.
8. Avoid leggings.
Anna Harvey recommends avoiding leggings. But if they are something you can’t stop wearing, combine them with long tunics and dresses. And when buying leggings, pay attention to the quality of the fabric. It shouldn’t be transparent. Choose the high-rise models in order to avoid having to pull the leggings up all the time.
9. Wear tunics.
Tunics are a universal option that can be a separate dress or an addition to pants or jeans. Anna recommends that if you are too tall (meaning that the tunic ends above the knee), you can wear it together with a straight skirt. This look will make you appear really stylish.
When buying a tunic, don’t choose the kimono style. It will make you visually shorter.
10. Make sure that comfort is your top priority.
You can feel comfortable in a dress if it really suits you. In her wardrobe, Anna has a lot a cashmere and silk dresses with long sleeves that are both comfortable and fashionable. The stylist also recommends not being afraid of closed dresses: they are good for women of any age.
Anna says that experimenting with jewelry is a great idea. If you’re not older than 40, you can have fun wearing different earrings.
11. Earrings are just as important as mascara.
Anna is convinced that earrings, no matter what their design is, are as important for any woman as mascara is. But she also says that buying cheap jewelry is not the best decision. It’s better to buy pearl or diamond earrings if you can. A pair of good earrings can make your image appear brighter and more complete.
12. Don’t wear sporty styles exclusively.
Comfortable clothes are crucial. According to Anna, she is really happy that sporty styles are trendy now but she doesn’t recommend wearing sporty clothes all the time: if you do this, you may look shabby.
The sporty style is best finished with interesting accessories and bags — things like sneakers can be replaced with more elegant shoes.
13. You can wear a leather jacket at any age.
Leather jackets are more popular among young people, but in fact, people of any age can easily wear a leather jacket. A short one looks good with a skirt or a dress, and longer styles look great with pants.
14. Long-sleeved clothes are a perfect choice for any situation.
Of course, our bodies change with age, so we have to hide some imperfections. Sleeves can always help us adjust the way our arms look. Anna recommends 3 types of sleeves:
- The Dolman is a loose sleeve cut in one piece with the body of a garment — it has a curved shoulder silhouette, which may not suit heavier frames.
- The Raglan extends from one piece to the collar, leaving a diagonal seam from the underarm to the collarbone. This is often used in knitwear and helps when wearing a knit under a jacket or coat.
- Set-in is a sleeve sewn into a shoulder seam and armhole. It gives a clean, sharp, shoulder shape and suits all figures.
Aside from the type, you should also pay attention to the length, because arms and elbows start to look different with age and many people try to hide these flaws near the elbow. So, a long sleeve is something that will stay fashionable forever.
15. Be careful when choosing clothes for the lawn.
Some events like weddings, for example, may take place on a grassy lawn. So, before the event, make sure you know about this in order not to make a mistake in choosing the right clothing to wear. Because your heels may stick into the ground and get covered in dirt, you may have to take them off, but doing so in the middle of an event isn’t such a good idea. It can really damper your look.
In order to avoid these unpleasant things, Anna recommends choosing:
- Flat shoes
- Shoes and sandals with a wide heel can be a great addition to an outfit if the event will move into a building later.
- Wedge-heeled shoes are a great option if you feel uncomfortable wearing flat shoes. Only flight attendants used to wear such shoes, but then Prada made their own model. This made wedge-heeled shoes trendy and elegant.
16. Wear long skirts if you are older than 40.
Women older than 40 years old are recommended to wear knee-long skirts or longer. They shouldn’t be straight. But if you are confident about the condition of your legs and you want to wear a shorter skirt, Anna recommends choosing a high-quality fabric and not forgetting about tights.
What do you think about fashion and style? Do you have your own rules that you follow to look great? Tell us in the comment section below!