45 beauty tips from people who make celebs look stunning
Whenever we see celebrities on the big screen or walking the red carpet at some prestigious awards ceremony, we never cease to marvel at their incredible good looks. It almost seems that popular personalities are born possessing the ideal physical appearance and impeccable good taste. However, in reality most stars owe their stunning appearance to the inspired work of their stylists and makeup artists.
Especially for our readers, we at Bright Side have selected 45 priceless tips from those high-flying beauty experts!
Chris McMillan is a popular American designer/stylist. His stellar clientele encompasses well-known celebrities and Hollywood actresses, including Kate Hudson, Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Aniston, Mylie Cyrus, Anne Hathaway, and many others.
- A proper haircut is 99% of a successful personal image. Nothing else can compensate for insufficient hair care or lousy styling. You should never economize on your hairdresser. A bad haircut will require correction after just one or two weeks, while the work of a quality hairdresser can last for a very long time - even as it starts to grow again, your hair will retain the desired shape.
- Your styling shouldn't look ideal. An excessively sleek head of hair looks unnatural and can spoil your image. Make sure to use your styling accessories sparingly - this will help to maintain the appearance of slight casualness.
- If you want to look younger, grow your hair long and give preference to hairstyles with a weave.
- The only way to make your hair grow is to refrain from cutting it. Don't shorten your locks even by a few millimeters. This might be difficult at first, but it is important to remain resolute for at least half a year.
- The first couple of weeks are the hardest - as your hair begins to grow long, it gradually loses its shape and becomes less susceptible to styling. In order to maintain decent-looking hair, you can use various accessories: headbands, scarves, barrettes, and super trendy tiaras.
- If your hair grows slowly and looks weak and lifeless, it is possible that there are problems with your scalp. Multiple research projects have proven that subjecting the skin of your head to regular peelings and moisturizing treatments makes your hair grow twice as fast.
- The famous stylist is certain: giving your hair slightly more volume at the roots will make any hairdo look better. The most important thing to any hairstyle is volume.
- If you're in a hurry with only five minutes to spare, yet you still want to look great, McMillan recommends a ponytail: 'You can comb your hair and braid it into a low ponytail. Fix it right at the nape, leaving a few strands to cover the ears. Among other things, this allows you to showcase your hair at full length.'
- Rinse your hair before entering the swimming pool. Don't forget that chlorine is damaging to your hair. To prevent brittleness, make sure to maintain a barrier between chlorine and your locks. Rinse your hair before using the pool and immediately after bathing.
- If you have a high forehead, don't hesitate to grow out your bangs; if your forehead is low - it's best to leave it open.
The top Hollywood nail stylist Kimmie Kyees works with a variety of universally known stars, such as Adele, Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna, Katy Perry, and others. Quite possibly, she has no peers in the world of professional nail art.
- A proper manicure looks good by itself - its tone doesn't have to match the color of your clothes or makeup.
- Bright nail polish looks best on short nails of a square-oval shape. Delicate neutral tones are more versatile - they suit everyone. Don't forget how beautiful and diverse nude tints are: coffee and milk, sand, peach, shades of pink and gray. They may have either a rich or semitranslucent texture.
- If you're a fan of bright colors, there's a way to make your nails look even more vibrant. Follow this simple method: having applied the foundation, paint the nails with white polish, then apply a second layer of polish in the color of your choosing.
This French stylist has conquered Hollywood with his wonderful creations. His talent has contributed to the looks of some of the most beautiful women in the world, such as Sarah Jessica Parker, Julia Roberts, Julianne Moore, and many others.
- Dry shampoos can be a real help. Washing your hair every day is a bad habit that you have to get rid of. But we often find ourselves in a situation where our hair still looks clean, yet the roots already begin yearning for a wash. What's more, the longer your hair becomes, the heavier it gets. This causes it to lose volume. A dry shampoo can rectify this problem in no time at all.
- Long hair is heavy and difficult to style. You'll have to use a volume spray, otherwise your hair will quickly fall flat even after the most vigorous morning combing session. Make sure to follow this basic rule: after each wash, treat your hair to a small amount of booster cream (a dollop the size of an apricot will suffice). Having applied the booster, dry your hair with the blow dryer, keeping your head tilted downwards.
It is Jeanine Lobell who works with Oscar-winning actresses both on set and in preparation for the glittering awards ceremonies. Her clients include Cate Blanchett, Natalie Portman, Michelle Williams, and Uma Thurman.
- Want to look fresher and younger? Then mix a few shades of cream blushes (such as red and pale pink), and add a dab of shimmery primer. Apply around the cheekbone area, and blend thoroughly.
- An interesting effect can be achieved by using a combination of beauty products with different textures. For instance, shiny silky lipstick looks harmonious with pressed matte blush.
- Give emphasis to wide eyebrows, and make sure you don't overload your face with excessively vibrant shades of lipstick and rouges.
Being a designer and a fashion writer, Rachel Zoe is rightfully considered one of the most popular celebrity stylists in Hollywood. She has partnered with such globally renowned actresses as Cameron Diaz, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Alba, and many others.
Looking after yourself and being glamorous is not something to be associated with preparing for special occasions. You should strive to look your best on a daily basis, even in the most mundane of situations (such as a quick trip to the shops to get some bread).
Use high-waist clothes to conceal your waistline imperfections.
You shouldn't chase blindly after new trends. When buying new clothes, don't base your choice of style and color on the latest fashion crazes. First and foremost, your clothes must look good on you!
Your wardrobe absolutely must contain a little black dress, stilettos, a classic white shirt, and pants with a loose silhouette.
Use accessories such as massive rings, bracelets, and necklaces to add finishing touches to your image. Hats and sunglasses will help highlight your personality.
Don't be afraid to play around with proportions. Try balancing out your multi-layered top with a simple hemline. Also, why not try experimenting with a combination of wide-leg pants and a tight-fitting top!
Try borrowing some items from a man's wardrobe (such as a jacket or a shirt).
A modest neckline and long sleeves will help accentuate your face. Pay special attention to makeup - your foundation should match your skin tone.
If you don't have time to create a proper hairdo, put your hair up, leaving your face open. You can make use of massive earrings - such accessories are perfect for balancing your face's proportions.
Hollywood hair colorist Rona O'Connor works her magic on the hair of many celebrities, such as Blake Lively, Heidi Klum, Debra Messing, and many others. You've got to give it to this accomplished professional - the stars look absolutely great!
- Do not wash your hair for 48 hours after coloring! Otherwise, you'll lose your new look and will need to make a repeat appointment with your hair colorist.
- If you don't have a tried-and-tested personal master colorist, visit several beauty salons and consult with their resident hair stylists. This will allow you to compare multiple expert opinions.
- Blonde hair is very fragile, so care must be taken to reduce mechanical impact on its surface. For instance, after washing your hair, don't rub it with a towel or comb it while it's still wet - this could damage the hair's structure, leaving your locks dull and porous.
- Using products that contain silicone can cause your hair's pores to become clogged. This is likely to prevent your hair from absorbing the nutrients contained in masks and conditioners. You'd be wise to steer clear of such products, opting for more natural hair care solutions.
- Make sure to treat your hair to deeply moisturizing masks twice a week. For example, you can use jojoba, avocado, or virgin coconut oil. As an express option, you can opt for ready-made professional masks.
- Growing out dyed hair is an extremely difficult task, but nothing is impossible! First of all, you shouldn't neglect taking care of the ends. Use special treatments both during styling and after washing your hair. Also, don't forget to refresh the ends every 6-8 weeks - this tactic is sure to bring positive results!
Ken Paves is one of the most popular stylists in Hollywood and England. His portfolio includes covers of such magazines as Vogue, Marie Claire, Elle, and Glamour, as well as stunning images of Victoria Beckham, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Biel, and other instantly recognizable stars.
- Avoid daily shampooing. If frequent washing is necessary, make sure to apply shampoo to the roots only.
- Getting ready for an important event calls for special hair treatment. You should make all the necessary preparations the evening before. Mix olive oil and water in the ratio 1:3, pour the mixture into a spray bottle, and use it to treat each strand individually. After you've applied the mixture, let it set overnight. Next morning, wash your hair thoroughly. You'll be sure to feel the difference - your hair will become soft, shiny, and much more easy to style.
- Set your blow dryer to warm mode when drying your hair. Use cold air when fixing your styling.
- Don't use a straightener while your hair is still wet under any circumstances!
Pat McGrath is one of the most sought-after makeup artists in the world. She works with the premier fashion houses, creating images for catwalks and advertising campaigns. Her client list includes Scarlett Johansson, Gwen Stefani, Madonna, and many other well-known celebrities.
- Swipe your mascara brush along the base of your eyelashes a few times, then move on to the tips. Applying makeup evenly across the whole length of the eyelashes can put too much weight on the tips, making it hard to paint a nice-looking curve. Don't stick to one technique only - try achieving different effects. Hold the brush horizontally to give your eyelashes more volume, or vertically for separate and natural-looking eyelashes.
- To hide dark circles, use a brush to blend some foundation or corrector makeup around the area under your eyes. Apply highlighter with a slight shimmer just above your cheekbones - it will reflect the light, creating a shiny eyes effect.
- To achieve a perfectly smooth and even coating, apply liquid foundation with your fingers. The warmth of your hands will be transferred to the medium, making it much easier to blend.
- Before putting the lipstick to your lips, cover them with some concealer or foundation. This helps to create a nice clear contour. I always go slightly over the natural lip line to outline the shape before proceeding to move to the center. Also, I always apply lipstick in several layers to get a truly rich color.
- To visually narrow the chin, apply some light-colored powder along your lower jaw. It is important that you use a matte powder - using a product with shimmering particles will create the opposite effect.
- Don't be afraid to frequently paint your eyelashes.
- Use two shades of blush to achieve a more natural look. They can be similar or completely different: one darker, the other brighter.
- Do you want your eyelashes to look as natural as possible? Then use black mascara for the roots and brown mascara for the tips. This will help soften your gaze while allowing your eyes to retain expressiveness.
- For shaping eyebrows, use a well-sharpened brown pencil and similarly colored shades. Add finishing touches by means of an eyebrow comb/brush.