10 Exercises to Burn Belly Fat Without Running
Belly fat looks ugly, but that’s the least of the worries you should have if you have a belly you cannot reign in. Unchecked, it can manifest itself into other serious ailments and have long-term adverse health effects.
Often living in big busy cities, you might not have access to outside running tracks and you may be too busy to regularly hit the gym. For you, Bright Side prescribes these 10 exercises that are very effective in burning belly fat and can be done in the comfort of your own home or in facilities that you could easily have access to.
Push-ups are not just a simple but effective exercise when it comes to fighting belly fat, they are also great for maintaining overall physical fitness. After all, they are very common in military physical training worldwide.
- Begin by lying flat on the ground with your chest down and back up.
- Using your arms, raise and lower your body.
Burpee is a great yet simple 4-step exercise to get rid of stubborn belly fat. To perform it:
Get into a squat position with your palms flat on the ground.
Kick your feet back and get yourself into a plank position, while keeping your arms extended.
Immediately return your feet to the squat position.
Then stand up from the squat position.
We all know mountain climbing is a great exercise, but we don’t always have a mountain around to climb. This exercise is designed to mimic mountain climbing, needless to say it’s pretty effective at burning undesired belly fat.
- Position yourself into a plank position.
- Lift one foot a little up and start bending your knee while you pull it up between the front of your body and the floor.
- Now move the leg back to its original position.
- Repeat the action with the other knee.
The crunch is one of the most popular exercises for removing excess fat from your abdomen.
- Begin by lying face-up on the floor with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Place your hands behind your head with your thumbs behind your ears.
- Curl up and forward so that your head, neck, and shoulders lift off the ground.
- Hold for a moment and then slowly return to the starting position.
Forearm plank is the most common form of performing the plank exercise. It is performed by getting into a push-up-like position, with the forearms, and toes bearing the body’s weight. Not only is it great for losing belly fat, but it’s also a great exercise for strengthening your shoulders and core, including your glutes.
1. Place your forearms on the ground. Keep the elbows below the shoulders, and the arms parallel to each other separated by about a shoulder-width’s distance.
2. Lift your body up in a push-up like position such that your body weight is borne by your forearms and toes.
3. Stay in this position for about 30 seconds if you are a beginner and gradually increase the time as you advance.
There are other variations of the plank too, like plank walk, side plank, and medicine ball plank.
Sumo squats are effective at getting rid of even the most stubborn belly fat.
- Start by spreading your feet wider than your shoulders and position your feet at a 45-degree angle.
- Now perform a 90-degree angle squat while raising your hands to meet under your chin.
- Then come half-way up before going down again.
While running is excellent, we can mimic its good effects even inside our living room by doing sprinter sit-ups. This exercise uses body weight alone to strengthen and sculpt your belly.
- Lie flat on your back with your arms down by your sides.
- In a quick motion, sit up as far as you can while driving your left arm forward and your right knee to your chest.
- Repeat on the other side. The motion looks somewhat like you’re sprinting.
Whether you wish to lose belly fat or to have a perfectly sculpted abdomen, bicycle crunches are perfect for you.
- Lie flat on the ground with your hands resting by your side.
- Now put your hands behind your head and interlock the fingers. You can also choose to not interlock the fingers.
- Lift your right leg in a way that your thighs are perpendicular to the ground and your calves are parallel.
- Simultaneously lift your shoulder blades and turn your body so that the elbow of your left arm touches the knee of the lifted right leg.
- Straighten the right leg, but keep it above ground and simultaneously bend your left leg and rotate your upper body so that the elbow of your right arm touches the knee of the left leg.
The most enjoyable and very effective way to lose your belly pooch is swimming. It’s also a great overall exercise to maintain physical fitness. The strokes you choose should be strenuous in order to help you burn more calories.
Another exercise that is not only great for losing excess fat but also is good for maintaining overall fitness. And to top it all off, it’s also fun and easy to do!
Now that you know about these amazing exercises, let us know which would be the one you would like to start with.
Illustrated by Daniil Shubin and Alena Tsarkova for BrightSide.me