10 Hidden Ways Foot Massage Can Help You Treat the Most Common Health Problems
After a long day of being at work, getting a foot massage is a great way to unwind. Foot massages aren't just a way to pamper someone and show love but it also has many health benefits that not so many people know about.
Bright Side presents you with the 10 amazing benefits of getting a foot massage. The last benefit may seem more like magic than a health benefit - be sure to read until the very end to learn more!
It lowers blood pressure
High blood pressure is a leading cause of heart attacks. Lifestyle changes and medication are required for lowering blood pressure and managing it, but regularly massaging your feet can also help, as proven by a study.
It helps deal with symptoms of PMS and menopause
Daily foot massages can alleviate the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and menopause including tension, insomnia, headaches, and mood swings. The point to massage is located in the arch of the inside of the foot, a thumb-width from the ball of the foot.
Alleviate cancer symptoms and side effects of chemotherapy
In a study spearheaded by scientists from Michigan State University, it was found that foot massages helped cancer patients find relief from not only pain and nausea but also from other symptoms associated with the treatment like shortness of breath and low energy levels.
Cope with symptoms of multiple sclerosis
People suffering from multiple sclerosis may experience several problems including double vision, blindness in one eye, muscle weakness, trouble with sensation, trouble with coordination and crippling fatigue. Foot reflexology-based massage provides relief from the crippling fatigue and also helps in alleviating motor, sensory and urinary symptoms in MS patients.
Reduce the effects of edema in pregnant women
Edema, otherwise known as the swelling of the feet and ankles due to an accumulation of fluid, can cause severe pain and is very common among pregnant women, usually during the last trimester. You can get relief from this condition by massaging your feet for about 10-20 minutes daily.
It benefits pregnant women
Foot massages are beneficial for pregnant women in terms of labor time and the need for painkillers during labor as well as postpartum recovery time. Studies have shown that reflexology-based foot massages help a woman's body to heal faster and achieve normal metabolic activity sooner.
Get a good night's sleep
Everyone loves getting a good night of sleep. A warm bath is a great way to achieve that. Try coupling it with a foot massage and we can ensure that you will sleep like a baby.
For the best results, try squeezing the top of the foot inward and search for a dimpled space. Massage this spot for 2 minutes.
Have a better sex life
A foot massage is a great way to show love to your significant other. Who wouldn't love a foot massage after a hard day's work? It is not only relaxing but also a great way to begin foreplay. Given the concentration of nerve endings in the sole of the foot, massaging this area can be a highly sexual experience.
Kiss headaches goodbye
Getting a foot massage is an effective way to get rid of a headache. Whether a headache is sinus related, caused by tension in the neck and shoulders or it's in your temple or the front or back of your head; massaging various spots on your foot can effectively relieve you of these pains.
- Due to sinusitis: Firmly massage the front and back of the second joint down on each toe. A squeeze and release technique works best. Do it for both feet.
- Due to shoulder and neck tension: Massage gently all over your feet. Then massage the area between your thumb and the forefinger in a circular motion. Also, massage the area immediately below the little toe.
- At the temple: Squeeze and release the area inside your big toe several times. Massage the left foot if you have a headache on the left temple and the right foot if it is on the right side.
- At the top, front or back: Massage the outside base of your big toe on both your feet and then the front and back of each toe using the squeeze and release technique.
Spinal pain relief through foot reflexology
The insides of both your feet can be mapped to the spine, with the first vertebra being right below the big toe. You can get rid of the pain in the spine by stimulating the corresponding point on your foot. Apply deep pressure to the point and massage for about 30-45 seconds by rubbing in a circular motion.
Bonus: A guide to foot reflexology
Foot reflexology has existed since the time of the pharaoh. Although science has been unable to explain how it works, there are studies that prove its efficacy. Let's look at some important foot reflexology points:
- Lung point: It is located on the balls of your feet between your big toe and the little toe. Stimulating this point on both feet with the help of mild pressure will help improve circulation and clear any gunk from the lungs.
- Heart point: This spot is located on your left foot, underneath your third and little toes, between the ball of your foot and where the arch starts. Stimulate this point using a soft circular motion to relieve yourself of stress which is the leading cause of heart attacks. Stimulating this point improves blood circulation in the body and the heart’s efficiency. If you sometimes feel very cold, rubbing it will make you feel warmer as it increases the blood circulation.
- Neck point: This point is located between the first and the second joint of each toe. Using the squeeze and release method, apply pressure here to relieve yourself of neck pain.
Now that you know the amazing benefits of a foot massage, it is time to get pampered with one. Share your thoughts about your experience in the comments below.