11 Ways to Remove Dark Spots From Your Skin
Skin is the largest organ of human body and skin conditions are among most common issues that make us seek medical help. According to statistics, the most common skin conditions like acne, affect 80 percent of the world’s population people at some point in their lives. Dark patches on the skin make up for another common skin condition that can appear at any age. If you happen to find areas on your skin where the color is darker, don’t panic — there are simple remedies you can try right now.
Here at Bright Side we’ve studied the main reasons why dark spots appear on our skin and we’ve also prepared a list of simple remedies you can try to get rid of those dark patches and bring back your even skin tone.
Where do dark spots on your skin come from?
Dark spots can appear on our skin suddenly, but their presence always has a reason. Scientists point out that there are several main factors that can trigger this skin condition. They include sun exposure, inflammation, hormonal changes, taking chemical medications, some health problems (for instance, liver disease), and aging. If you find dark spots on your skin, don’t panic. These dark patches may be caused by recent skin inflammations or by your own photosensitivity — in other words, they may turn out to be ordinary freckles.
Use natural remedies
- One of the natural remedies that helps to whiten dark spots and blemishes on the skin are potatoes. You can apply potato juice or thin slices of fresh potato onto affected areas of skin and let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse your skin with water. Those who tried this remedy noticed positive changes after 7-8 days of doing potato applications.
- The anti-aging and skin nourishing properties of Aloe Vera make it an amazing remedy for the skin. Cut an Aloe Vera leaf in half and rub it on your skin. Let your skin dry and rinse with water. Repeat this treatment daily until you get rid of the dark patches.
- Orange peel contains Vitamin C in large amounts which makes it a perfect remedy for all sorts of skin conditions. Make a DIY facial mask by mixing 1 tbsp of orange peel powder with 3 tbsp of milk. Apply the mask, let it nourish your skin for 10-15 minutes, and then rinse with water.
- Lemon is another natural product that has strong whitening properties. Apply some fresh lemon juice onto the affected area with a cotton pad. Let the juice dry and then rinse with water. Apply this remedy daily for at least 2 weeks.
- You may also mix lemon juice with honey for a DIY facial mask that will help to brighten, nourish, exfoliate, and even the tone of your skin.
- Coconut oil is another natural remedy that can work wonders for skin that is affected by dark patches thanks to its nourishing, anti-bacterial, and moisturizing properties. Apply coconut oil onto affected areas and let your skin absorb it. Make sure you use cold pressed oil as it contains more vitamins.
- Mix equal parts water and apple cider vinegar to get your DIY skin toner. Apply this mixture onto the affected area, let dry, and rinse with water. Apply ACV toner daily until dark spots on your skin fade.
- Pineapple is rich in natural acids that are effective for skin whitening. Apply pineapple juice onto the areas affected by dark patches with a cotton pad and rinse after 5 minutes.You may also rub your skin with thin slices of fresh pineapple.
- Try an oat and yogurt facial mask for skin whitening. Mix 1 tbsp of oats with 2 tbsp of natural yogurt with no additives and apply this mixture onto your face. Let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse with water.
Change your habits
- Sun exposure is one of the factors that causes dark patches on your skin. Spending a long time in the sun triggers the production of melanin which is our natural protection against harmful solar radiation. Spend less time in the open when the sun is most active and use sunscreen regularly.
- There are certain types of chemicals in medications that can cause dark spots even when we are not exposed to the sun. If your skin is prone to dark patches, make sure you cut down on medications containing these chemicals.
Be aware of the risks
The remedies we have just discussed have proved themselves to be helpful for many people. If none of them seem helpful to you or if you notice your skin condition get worse, you should consider visiting your family doctor. As we said in the beginning of the article, there are many different reasons that cause this skin problems and once you know exactly what makes dark spots appear on your skin, you know how to fight them more effectively.
Would you like to try any of these remedies? Do you have your own tips on how to get rid of dark spots? Tell us in the comments!