6 Quick Ways to Stop Your Back Pain After Sitting All Day
About 80 percent of adults experience back pain at some point in their daily lives. The statistics are alarming! It is the most common cause of missed work. Medication can be helpful, but it is always good to know some ways that don’t have side effects too.
We at Bright Side are always trying to find more ways to prevent back pain and want to share it with you!
1. Cat stretching with a chair
The cat stretch can help lengthen the back and ease tension in the muscles. But you can improve this technique and use a chair. It especially nice after a hard work day when you don’t have enough energy to do yoga or stretch.
- You just need a soft pillow between you and a chair or stool. Sit on your knees and position your body over the seat of the chair. Relax your whole body and let your spine get round. Your head should be down.
- Stay like this until you feel relief in your muscles.
2. Use special tape to relieve pain.
It’s simple and the manufacturers say it’s very effective. This special tape relieves pressure and pain, provides support, and increases circulation that helps you heal. When the tape is applied to your body it gently lifts your skin. It is believed that this helps to create a tiny space between your skin and the tissues underneath it. Very often, relief is felt immediately.
How to apply it:
- Clean and dry the problematic area first.
- Tear the backing paper in the center.
- After applying the first tab to anchor the tape, let the end recoil slightly. Then take off the backing paper.
- After you apply the tape, rub the strip vigorously for several seconds. Heat activates the glue. Full adhesion usually takes around 20 minutes.
Please consult with your therapist on how to properly apply this tape!
3. Hot stones for healing and relaxing.
You can get your own stones and relax your back at home. For example, you can find them by the seashore or buy them in a shop. The only requirement is that they should be rounded. By placing the warmed stones over acupressure points you can get rid of tension in your body and promote the body’s own healing process. It is always better to consult with your doctor, who can also advise where to apply them.
How to prepare and use the stones:
- Heat up the stones. Prepare your stones 30-60 minutes before you begin your massage. The water should be no more than 54°C (130°F ).
- Apply some massage oil on the stones.
- Don’t place a hot stone directly on your skin without first moving it slowly along your back before putting it on a point. And don’t lay on hot stones!
- Lay face down. Put the stones on your back along your spine and relax. It takes 3-4 minutes for the heat of the stones to penetrate the skin.
4. Capsicum plaster: a method that has withstood the test of time
What’s old is new again. With all these new technologies, we almost forgot about the old remedy that has always helped. Capsicum Plaster is used to produce heat, but you have to make sure you apply it on undamaged skin. It is used for backaches, swelling of the nerves, and muscle stiffness.
New research says that it is effective and that after 3 weeks of treatment, it was shown to reduce pain by 25% more in a group who used plaster in comparison to a group who just thought that they were using it.
How to use it:
- When you get your capsicum plaster, use it exactly as directed on the label.
- To apply a capsicum skin patch, remove the liner and apply the patch to your skin over the area of the pain. Press it firmly.
- Leave the plaster until it gets dry.
- Remove the patch and apply a new patch 1 or 2 times daily if needed.
- Wash your hands with soap and water immediately after applying the capsicum patch.
5. Use acupressure points.
Acupressure points are very helpful for back pain and using this technique doesn’t cause side effects like medication does. You can use this method in your daily routine. Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese physical therapy. It’s becoming more and more popular every day and it is a well-researched method for managing back pain. It works by stimulating the nervous system and releasing pain-relieving chemicals.
Some acupuncture points for back pain are on the backs of the knees, on the lower back, the feet, the hips, and the stomach.
How to press the points:
- Press the points with your thumb and hold for a couple of minutes.
- Release slowly.
6. Chiropractic technique for low-back pain
This may also be a good alternative to medication. Chiropractic spinal manipulation is effective for back pain. It’s basically analyzing the problem by using touch and then fixing it manually. It is estimated that chiropractors treat more than 35 million people in America annually!
But before doing any procedures, consult with your doctor so you don’t harm your spine!
It’s better to find a professional who can advise what is best for you. If you need some urgent and quick care for your back, it’s always good to know a chiropractic specialist.
Bonus: Floatation therapy can renew your back and whole body.
This procedure can be very powerful and quickly provide relief from back pain. It uses a special combination of magnesium, water, and air temperature inside the tank to heal you. Flotation therapy can also include some special relaxing visual and audio elements.
It is very effective for stress-related and chronic pain, and it was proved with several studies.
How the procedure goes:
- You enter the tank nude and are cut off from all outside stimulation, including sound, sight, and gravity when the tank’s lid or door is closed.
- You start floating weightlessly in the silence and darkness, the brain is supposed to enter into a deeply relaxed state.
Do you have your own methods for defeating back pain? Please, share them with us below!