9½ Tips to Stop Losing Hair and Grow a Gorgeous Mane
Specialists say it's normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day. If you pull a bunch of nearly 60 hairs and only 5–8 of them stay in your hand, no need to worry. When there are more than 15, it is a sign that you should pay attention to your health. At that moment, it is not too late to take care of your hair, so here are some tips you can apply.
Aging, stress, pollution, an unhealthy lifestyle, and genetic predisposition — there are lots of reasons for hair loss. And even though we can't reverse natural changes, it is still possible to put this process on hold and decrease the amount of hair we lose. Besides medical treatment and homemade masks, there are some useful tips and habits everyone who suffers from this problem should arm themselves with.
Bright Side found easy and applicable tips to prevent hair loss at all stages.
1. Wash your hair properly.
- First of all, say NO to silicone, parabens, and sulfates in your hair care products!
- Check your hair type, and choose the right shampoo.
- Overwashing is bad for the dry skin type; washing too rarely is bad for the oily type.
- After washing, don't comb your hair while it's wet.
2. Don't underestimate brushing.
Oh, that feeling when you see your beautiful hair...on the brush! Choosing the right brush is essential. For those who suffer from hair loss, the best option is a wooden and wide-tooth comb. Don't forget to clean it at least once a week.
3. Mind your hairdo.
It's not only you that can be stressed out! Your hair is also put under pressure when you wear tight hairstyles. Ponytails, cornrows, braids, and even waves pull on the short and delicate hairs at the front of the scalp as well as the hair roots, which affects their growth. Over time, it can lead to hair loss or aggravate the problems you already have.
- If the problem with hair loss is really serious, it's better to avoid over-styling.
- As a precaution, try to keep these hairdos for special occasions only.
4. Beware of high heat.
Well, not all of us use styling tools, but is it even possible to live without a hair dryer? For most of us, the answer is no. But to have healthy hair, it's worth giving it up, at least as a regular practice. The heat makes your hair brittle and thin, and they fall out more often. Hot showers are dangerous too.
- Let your hair dry naturally whenever possible.
- Apply heat-protecting sprays.
- Remember the main rule: if the styling tool is too hot for your skin, it's too hot for your hair.
5. Enjoy a scalp massage.
Time to treat your head! A scalp massage is a great technique as it stimulates blood circulation, which is beneficial for new hair growth.
How to do it:
- In the shower, after applying shampoo or conditioner, move your fingers slowly and smoothly all around your head.
- Use scalp massagers.
6. Meditate and exercise.
Stress damages our body in many different ways, and losing hair is one of them. Being anxious and nervous makes the level of the hormone cortisol higher, which leads to a decrease in the skin elements that are important for hair growth. If you notice that hair loss and stressful situations happen at the same time, it goes to show that these 2 things are related.
- Meditation can lower stress levels and stop the process of hair loss.
- If you're not a huge fan of spiritual practices, spend more time on relaxing and pleasant activities.
- Physical activities are also an option when fighting stress.
7. Give up unhealthy habits.
Body intoxication caused by smoking and drinking alcohol regularly is also one of the reasons why you lose hair. It damages the hair follicles, which can be irreversible, and also dehydrates the scalp.
- Quit smoking. (Or at least smoke less.)
8. Decrease bad food consumption.
We are what we eat, and food can both accelerate and slow down hair loss. There are bad products that affect your hair in a similarly bad way, so cut down on the following:
- Diet soda. Unnatural sweeteners are unhealthy.
- Sugar. It prevents the absorption of protein, which is necessary for hair growth.
- Greasy food. It makes your skin greasy too.
- White bread, pasta, and cakes. They have high glycemic levels.
- Mackerel and swordfish. They contain a lot of mercury.
8½. Increase good food consumption.
Apart from the bad foods, there are also good ones, of course! Here's a list for you to follow:
- Salmon. Omega-3 fatty acids open the hair follicles, which accelerates hair growth.
- Spinach. A bunch of vitamins plus iron makes oxygen come into the hair follicles.
- Eggs. Protein and biotin are essential for hair growth.
- Carrots. Thanks to vitamin A, your scalp will always get enough natural oils.
- Poultry. More protein and iron for strong and long hair.
- Cinnamon. As we already know, blood circulation makes hair grow, and cinnamon improves blood circulation.
- Nuts and seeds. They contain oils, biotin, and proteins.
9. See a doctor.
If the hair loss is sudden, the amount of falling hair is increasing, or your scalp has a rash, don't wait. See a doctor. It can be a symptom of more serious health issues and may require prompt treatment.
What are your ways of fighting hair loss? Share your favorite techniques in the comment section.