Here Is What Happens If You Eat Honey and Cinnamon Every Day
People have been using honey and cinnamon for centuries, and these products are popular in Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine. Honey never expires, and cinnamon was so valuable a thousand years ago that only an emperor could get it as a gift. Now everyone has access to them, and their benefits are scientifically proven. The mixture of honey and cinnamon is super tasty and effective.
Bright Side collected some evidence of the strength of this combination and would like to share it with you. Be healthy!
Free radicals (oxidants) aggressively oxidize tissues and destroy body cells. This may lead to premature aging and diseases. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals, thus slowing the aging process.
- Honey contains phenols, enzymes, flavonoids, and organic acids, all powerful antioxidants. Studies have shown that darker honey, such as buckwheat honey, is a rich source of these compounds. sciencedirect, NCBI, pubs
- Cinnamon contains polyphenols which are also strong antioxidants. Cinnamon outperforms 26 other spices and herbs in the number of antioxidants, including garlic and oregano. naldc, NCBI
Improve heart function
Honey and cinnamon help in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases that are reported to be the most common cause of death worldwide.
- Honey increases the blood flow to the heart, thus dilating artery walls. It also contains antioxidants that help prevent the blood clots that often lead to heart attacks and strokes. NCBI
- Cinnamon was found to reduce “bad“ cholesterol (it forms atherosclerotic plaques on arterial walls) and increase the level of ”good" cholesterol in our bodies. NCBI
Add several spoonfuls of cinnamon to a jar of honey, and mix thoroughly. Eat it regularly for breakfast with a piece of bread or a cookie.
Fight bacterial infections
Both honey and cinnamon have an antibacterial effect, so you can use this combination not only when you have a cold but also with infectious diseases, such as infections of the kidneys or bladder.
- Honey is a natural antibiotic. It has long been used for disinfecting wounds. It contains protein defensin-1 and the enzyme glucose oxidase that destroy bacteria. globalresearchonline, SciShow
- Cinnamon has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal actions. It contains cinnamic aldehyde that gives the product its famous scent and useful qualities. authoritynutrition, NCBI
Aid weight loss
Honey and cinnamon aren’t weight loss products. However, they can help you reduce weight faster if your goal is to have a slim body and you already do some exercises and eat right.
- Replace sugar and sweets with honey. Moderate consumption of honey will reduce the number of calories in your diet. Moreover, refined sugar causes high blood glucose levels, and then sudden blood sugar drops. These changes in glucose levels may lead to emotional instability, as well as to overproduction of insulin. Honey is slowly absorbed into the body’s bloodstream, preventing blood sugar spikes. authoritynutrition
- Cinnamon reduces blood sugar levels and increases the sensitivity to insulin that is responsible for the metabolism. Therefore, it helps to speed up metabolism and convert glucose into energy, not into fat. authoritynutrition, well-beingsecrets
Drink a glass of water with 1 teaspoon of honey and ½ tablespoon of cinnamon 30 minutes before breakfast or 30 minutes before bedtime. healthonlinecentral
Lower blood sugar levels
High blood sugar can cause many diseases, and diabetes is among them.
- It’s proven that honey may reduce blood glucose levels. Only 17% of honey is water, the rest being mainly fructose and glucose. They are easily absorbed by the body and don’t cause blood sugar spikes. Therefore, diabetics can eat honey. NCBI
- Cinnamon also helps reduce blood sugar levels. This is shown by studies of both healthy volunteers and diabetics. Of course, it is not a medication, but cinnamon is an effective food supplement. NCBI, findmeacure
When choosing honey, be aware that it is often diluted with sugar, chalk, flour, and starch. Make sure you buy honey from a trusted seller, and always test its purity. It’s better to use unfiltered and unpasteurized raw honey. wikihow
Buy cinnamon sticks instead of ground cinnamon, so it’ll be easier to distinguish Ceylon cinnamon from cassia that is usually sold under the same name but has fewer benefits. peashealth
Honey is not recommended for babies under two years old because of the risk of infant botulism. SciShow