21 Useful Psychological Facts We See Every Day But Fail to Notice
There are still a lot of secrets in the human mind, but scientists have managed to reveal some of them already.
Bright Side has collected the most interesting ones. We bet you had no idea about most of them!
- People with a high level of testosterone feel rewarded by other people's anger.
- Research has proved that some people are born with innate math abilities.
- The brain "overwrites" the monotonous speeches of boring people that we sometimes hear to make them more interesting and easier to memorize.
- Singing decreases anxiety and helps fight depression.
- The nervous system of the intestine and the brain are connected. This is why some emotions influence our stomach instantly. Stress causes the biggest influence.
- The absence of friends can be just as dangerous as smoking. Scientists have found a connection between loneliness and the level of protein coagulation that can cause a heart attack or a stroke.
- Some people are genetically more susceptible to being pessimistic, and they perceive negative events more vividly than other people.
- However, you can learn to be optimistic. You don't have to be born with such a feature.
- We are only able to choose from a limited number of options, even though we constantly want variety. This explains the fact why large menus, thick catalogs, and huge supermarkets with a wide assortment of items only make a mess in our minds.
- When you are trying to recall an event of the past, you are actually recalling your last memory of the event, not the event itself.
- Food that we didn't cook ourselves seems to be tastier. While cooking a dish, we experience its smell and can imagine the taste. It feels like we've already eaten some of the dish. Another interesting fact is that when we cook on our own, we eat less. How do you like this diet idea?
- Scientists are paying more and more attention to the connection between being intelligent and being sarcastic. It has been proven that sarcasm develops creativity.
- People who are born blind never have schizophrenia.
- Many studies show that people often exaggerate their own positive features. A typical example: most drivers are sure that they drive much better than the average driver.
- When we are too cautious and develop a plan "B," most of the time, our plan "A" fails.
- Dutch scientists questioned 5,000 people and found out that, on average, women cry 30-64 times a year. Men cry between 6 and 17 times a year.
- For most women, 70% of a man's attractiveness is defined by how strong he is.
- The brain uses the same mechanism when listening to a person's favorite music and using drugs.
- If you tell other people about your plans, then it's likely that you won't realize them because you will simply lose motivation.
- Brown-eyed people are more trustworthy than blue-eyed ones. Perhaps this is due to the fact that brown-eyed people have more prominent facial features, which are also trusted more often.
- We change our voices when we talk to people we like.
Which of the facts amazed you the most? Do you know any other psychological facts? Tell us in the comment section below!