9 Subtle Lies We All Tell Ourselves
Nobody likes liars. When we are lied to, it hurts us really badly. We naturally feel betrayed and offended. But the truth is that we deceive ourselves every day, thus limiting ourselves from living the life we deserve and preventing our own success.
We at Bright Side have put together some of the most popular lies you might be telling yourself every day. We hope this list will help you understand how damaging this way of thinking can be.
1. I am a victim of my past
You're not a victim of your past, but you're a victim of your present because of your past. Of course, the actions that you took earlier define you. But obsessive patterns of former times and nonstop analyzing of what has already gone can lead to even more mistakes. Your past will haunt you if you let it.
- Remember: dwelling on the past takes you away from the present.
2. I'm too old for that
You are never too old for anything.
- Leonardo Da Vinci turned 51 the year he painted the Mona Lisa.
- Colonel Sanders opened his first KFC franchise at the age of 61.
There are always people who accomplish significant achievements when all the odds are seemingly against them. As long as you doubt yourself and think that your time has already gone away, you tend to lose your self-confidence and ability to realize your potential.
- Remember: you are never too old or too young to fulfill your calling.
3. Money doesn't love me
Don't doom yourself to failure from the beginning. Money shouldn't be your primary goal. However, abandoning it altogether is also not an option. You deserve everything that you're dreaming about.
- Start small – let yourself dream of something bigger and better.
4. When I have ..., then I will be happy
Happiness will not come when you reach your goal. Your sense of joy and satisfaction will be temporary and fleeting.
- Try to feel happy without giving yourself unnecessary ultimatums.
5. I can do that later
This is probably the most popular lie that we tell ourselves. The problem is, we never know how much time we actually have. You may wake up one day and find you no longer have time for the things you’ve always wanted to do. No one knows what the future holds.
- If you wait for the perfect moment when all is safe and assured, it may never arrive.
6. I'm a loser because my attempts failed
Abandon your expectations about what your life should be like and start focusing on what you have now. You need to remember that just because something is not going the way you want, it doesn't mean that you haven't achieved anything. Never give up.
- Success consists of a series of little daily steps - your actions and decisions will gradually lead you toward your goals.
7. No one understands me
This is what most people in the world think, so you're not alone. Stop thinking that no one understands you just because they don't agree with you.
- Being different is okay, and sometimes by listening to a person with a different opinion you can better understand yourself.
8. I'm not them...I can't do that
We are all different. Each one of us has different skill levels, abilities, and personalities. We tend to compare ourselves to people who appear to have a successful career, but we completely overlook the fact that they probably started with nothing and worked their way up the hard way.
- Change your way of thinking to a more positive one. Let this phrase be your mantra: "If they can do it, I can too."
9. My complexes block my abilities and efforts
In fact, what you hate most about yourself and what you're trying to hide from others makes you unique and helps you stand out. Look at yourself through the eyes of someone who loves you, and you'll see yourself as you really are.
- Your complexes don't define you.