I’m Meeting My Boyfriend’s Parents for the First Time! How Do I Make Them Like Me?
How have you been, guys? I spent another evening reading your sweet messages (THANK YOU for sending them to me), and I found a message from Amber. She is meeting her boyfriend’s parents for the first time and it looks like she’s really WORRIED about it.
Hi Amber! You must feel really NERVOUS! I’ve been there too, so believe me when I say there’s really NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT! I was truly scared of meeting my boyfriend’s parents for the first time too, but when we met, I realized they were the kindest and nicest people. We talked for a few hours straight and I didn’t want to leave their house at all that day! He-he. So I want you to take a deep breath and relax. And, of course, I’ll share some tips that helped me, and I hope they can help you too.
Here’s what you’d better DO and NOT DO when you meet Henry’s parents for the first time.
- Try not to demonstrate your affection too openly. It can make your boyfriend’s parents feel awkward. Just don’t do anything you wouldn’t do in front of your own parents.
- Stay away from debatable and personal topics, like politics, religion, or health. Choose positive and engaging topics for conversation.
- A safe and interesting topic for a conversation is your boyfriend’s childhood. Who can tell you more about him as a child than his parents? Ask them to tell you a few funny stories from your boyfriend’s childhood, and I’m sure they’ll be glad to share them.
- Bringing a little gift is a good idea. You can ask your boyfriend to give you a couple of ideas for a good present for his mom and dad. Such little gestures can leave a lasting impression.
- It’s better to dress in modest clothes. But it’s also a good idea to choose an outfit that will show your personality. So pick a comfortable outfit that can help you act naturally and feel relaxed.
- Ask your boyfriend to tell you more about his parents. This will help you get the feeling that you already know them a bit, and you probably won’t feel that nervous.
- Tell them more about yourself. Henry’s parents would probably like to learn more about you too. Be ready to tell them more about your family, interests, and hobbies.
- Giving a few compliments to your boyfriend’s parents would also be nice. You can say that you appreciate their home decor, food, or the way they raised their son. Just don’t say TOO MANY compliments, because that may sound awkward and insincere.
- And, the most important tip: JUST BE YOURSELF. Don’t try to pretend to be someone else just to make your boyfriend’s parents like you. This is a road to nowhere. If the 2 of you keep dating, his parents will know who the real Amber is anyway. So just be yourself and enjoy the evening!
Well, Amber, I hope this helps! Please send me a message when the meeting is over and share your impressions!
Guys, what did you feel like when you met your significant other’s parents for the first time? What did you talk about? How did you behave? Let’s chat in the comments!