11 Secret WhatsApp Tricks You Should Try
Almost all of us have WhatsApp on our smartphones. But do we really use its full potential? You don’t want anybody to see your chats? You want to become invisible to your contact list? You can learn these and many more interesting hacks by just having a look at your Settings tab.
Bright Side reveals 11 useful WhatsApp functions, which will make your life a bit easier.
11. Becoming invisible in WhatsApp
If you don’t want everybody to see you online or check your status, pics, or account info, use the following trick:
- For Android: Go to Menu > Settings > Account > Privacy. Change the settings of personal data visibility.
- For iOS: Go to Settings, and open the Privacy tab. Then change your settings there.
10. Highlighting messages
You can make accents on what you write not only with emoticons but with bold type, italics, and
- If you want your message in italics, write the underscore signs on both sides of your _text_ .
- Want the message in bold type? Use the star key on both sides of the *text*.
- If you want the
strikethrough type, use twiddles on both sides of the ~message~.
9. Sending a group message without making a group chat
In order to create a mailout, go to Chats > Menu > New broadcast. Press "+" or enter the names of receivers.
The message will be delivered to every receiver you have chosen. Plus, all the necessary contacts will get the message in the usual way. Their answers will be seen only by you and not the other contacts on the list.
8. How to understand that you are blocked
There are several signs of being blocked in some chats:
- You don’t see the time a contact was last seen online.
- You don’t see new avatar pics in the profile of a contact.
- All your messages are ticked once (the message is sent) but not twice (the message is delivered).
- You create a group chat, but you can’t add a contact (that probably means you are blocked).
However, all these signs don’t guarantee that you are 100% banned. Your contact might have changed the visibility settings.
7. Saving the storage capacity from auto downloading
WhatsApp is a caring application and automatically saves all your media sent while chatting. But very often it "eats" the memory storage of your smartphone, and you wouldn’t like to miss installing a new cool app.
The decision is quite simple: turn off the media autosave in the app settings. For Android: go to Settings > Data Usage, and choose the necessary parameters of file downloading. For iOS: Settings > Data and Storage Usage > Media.
6. Identifying a fake contact
Almost everyone can use a “free number“ or a special app for SMS activation messages. Just try to call the contact if you want to check if it’s a bot. Temporary (”free") virtual numbers are practically always offline or inactive.
5. Making voice messages mute
Everything is quite simple: hold your phone to your ear, and WhatsApp will change the loudspeaker mode to inner speakers. How does it know that you have held your phone to your ear? This app knows much more than you can imagine.
4. How to find important messages quickly
Sometimes you search for a certain important message for hours. Don’t waste your time: choose the message, and star it (the star sign in the upper part of the screen). Now it can be quickly found in the "Starred messages" tab in the main menu.
3. How to learn that someone else reads your messages
Open the Menu, and press WhatsApp Web. If the app invites you to follow the web.whatsapp link, scan the QR code, and use WhatsApp on your PC, it’s good. It means that nobody else reads your WhatsApp from their PC using WhatsApp Web.
If you see a "Computers" tab and a list of open sessions (connections), which have nothing to do with your WhatsApp activity, it’s a reason to get worried. This can signal that someone else is reading your chats and profile.
2. Adding WhatsApp "superpowers" earlier than others
WhatsApp activists have invented the beta version of their favorite messenger. It can help you check on all the new functions before they are available to others. Note: the beta version might have bugs, and you’ll have to test them yourself. In order to get access, go to the WhatsApp Beta page, press the "Become a tester" button, and update the app.
We sincerely hope that these WhatsApp tips will be helpful for you to make your application safer and your communication brighter.
1. Bubble messages
It’s always quite nice to have small bubbles in the corner of your screen, showing that you have a new message in WhatsApp and who the sender is. All you need to do to turn this option on is to download the "WhatsBubbles" app. Synchronize it with your WhatsApp, and turn the bubble notification mode on. Voila! Catch the nice bubble messages on your screen!