12 Ways to Use the Cosmetics You Wanted to Get Rid of — Now You’ll Probably Hold on to Them
“Saving is the wealth of the poor and the wisdom of the rich” — these are the words of Alexandre Dumas. Sometimes things that seem completely useless can, in fact, be used for a long time. For example, a cream with a smell you don’t like or a powder in the “wrong” color. We know how to make the cosmetics that are collecting dust on your shelves useful again.
We at Bright Side have found ways to use those cosmetics that weren’t right for you, but you had keep anyway because you didn’t want to waste money. And at the end of the article, we will tell you about an unusual way to remove acne.
Many toners contain alcohol which eliminates bacteria effectively:
- A toner can help you if you need to disinfect your hands quickly and can be a great alternative for a hand sanitizer.
- You can use it to wash your mobile phone or keyboard. These objects collect a lot of dirt and bacteria, and shouldn’t be washed with water, but products that contain alcohol are good for these purposes.
2. Cosmetic oil
You can use cosmetic oil to wash a sink made of stainless steel. Just put a drop of oil on a piece of cloth and rub the surface and then wipe it with a paper towel after that. The oil creates a thin film that will prevent the appearance of plaque and soap stains. This trick is often used on sinks in stores.
3. Transparent nail polish
Transparent nail polish can make not only nails shine but any other surface, it can also help to fix little details.
- In order to remove scratches from polished furniture, put a little bit of nail polish on the damaged spot.
- Nail polish can help you save your favorite glasses. In order not to lose small screws from the frame, you can seal or fix them with a thin layer of nail polish.
Powders contain mineral salts that absorb moisture.
- Before a workout at the gym, put some powder on the spots that sweat a lot like armpits, elbows, and palms. This trick will help you avoid irritation.
- You can substitute a dry hair shampoo with powder. Just put a little bit of powder on the hair to let it absorb the oil. After that, brush your hair above a sink or bathtub.
5. Makeup removals
Makeup removals can not only remove makeup but also different types of dirt.
- In order to remove the leftovers from stickers and price tags from almost any surface, just rub the spot with a cloth soaked in makeup remover. You can also remove cosmetic stains from clothes, but in this case, you should use clear a liquid.
6. Nail polish remover
A nail polish remover that contains acetone can be used as a solvent or a stain remover. It also has an anti-grease effect.
- If your fingers are stuck together by glue, put some acetone on the skin. Wait for 30 seconds and then wash your hands with warm water and soap.
- In order to clean bathroom or kitchen tiles, get some warm water, add acetone, and wash the tiles with this solution.
- If there are stains on your porcelain, rub them with a soft cloth soaked in water with nail polish remover. Don’t forget to wash the porcelain properly afterward to completely remove the acetone.
Creams contain moisturizing components that make the skin elastic and soft.
- If you have a cream you don’t like, try using it on your leather things. In order to freshen up the look of your favorite shoes or bag, put some cream on them, and they will look as good as new.
- You can also put some cream on winter shoes before putting them into storage for the summer.
All shampoos contain softening components and panthenol, so they are great for washing clothes made of delicate fabrics. Lingerie, clothes made of natural wool, silk clothes — all of these things will last much longer if you replace your regular detergent with shampoo.
9. Lip balm
Vaseline is the basic component of this type of cosmetic. It moisturizes and lubricates the skin.
- You can use lip balm to save split ends. Just put it on them and you will notice the difference.
- Lip balm is also good for stuck mechanisms because it is a lubricant. You can put it on door hinges or windows to make opening them easier.
10. Hair spray
Hairspray creates a layer on the hair.
- In order to remove cat fur from clothes, you can take a towel, put some hairspray on it, and rub it on the clothes. The clothes will be clean and you will have the antistatic effect as an additional bonus.
- If you put some spray on balloons, they will keep stay inflated for a longer time and won’t attract dust.
Scrubs contain small solid particles that polish the skin.
- In order to remove soil from hands after working in the garden, use a scrub.
- Eyebrow peeling that is recommended before coloring them is another way to use a scrub. This procedure helps to remove the dead skin cells and the remains of cosmetics like wax, powder, or eyeliner.
- A scrub can help with in-grown hairs. It’s important to do this polishing before depilation and 2-3 times a week after the procedure.
12. Red lipstick
In order to hide a tattoo temporarily, you should put red lipstick on it and let it dry. The next layer should be foundation and then hairspray on top of it.
In this case, the color really matters. This trick may seem strange but it is based on the color circle principle: the coral color of the lipstick and purple shades are in front of each other, so they will equalize each other.
The same method works with dark circles under the eyes. First, put the lipstick (the layer should be thin) and the concealer should be on top.
Bonus: An unusual way of removing acne
If you have skin problems, there is a cheap and easy way to cleanse your skin and prevent the appearance of new acne. You will need a new toothbrush, 1 tbsp of toothpaste, 1 tbsp of baking powder, and warm water.
- Cleanse your skin. Wash your face and use a towel soaked in warm water to heat up the problem spots of your skin.
Put the toothpaste and the baking powder into a bowl of warm water. Mix the ingredients.
- Put the mixture on the problem spots. Use the toothbrush to gently rub the mixture into the pores.
- Let the mask finish the cleansing, and 5 minutes later, wash it off of your face.
Do you know about any other ways to make use of cosmetics you don’t need? Tell us about them in the comment section below!