6 Ways to Buy an Airplane Ticket for the Price of a Movie Ticket
An airplane ticket for $5 seems to be nonsense...but not when you know how to search.
Bright Side brings you many wonderful ways to find the cheapest option for your flight.
- The 60-day rule: look for your flight no sooner (or later) than 1.5-2 months before the trip.
- Buy tickets on dates from mid-January until early March.
- Try to purchase your tickets on Tuesdays from 2 to 4 pm.
- Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons are the times of the lowest flight ticket prices.
- If you’re planning a weekend flight, it’s best to buy your tickets on a Friday night or during Saturday.
No price calculator is perfect, and sometimes they malfunction. This usually happens with complex flights, but you can be lucky enough to have an error with a simple one too.
It’s not a law by any means — more of a chance. It’s almost impossible to buy a ticket to the city you need with the help of a system error, yet a spontaneous vacation is quite another thing.
- airfarewatchdog.com has a "Top 50 Fares" section, updated daily.
secretflying.com posts a selection of fresh errors daily. Better follow it on Facebook and Twitter to always stay updated.
holidaypirates.com has an alert system for holiday and weekend deals as well as for a particular airport of departure.
Check the same flight the next morning after you’ve booked it as search engines often set filters to default and may suggest cheaper options. If the price is cheaper, you can cancel your booking and re-purchase your ticket, paying a small fee or skipping it altogether depending on the airline and booking platform. Yapta.com will help you track prices for a particular flight and change tickets if you need it.
Otherwise called low-cost carriers, and their policy is the best price you can get.
How to use all low-cost airlines’ features using Ryanair as an example:
- Inspect the price chart of your airline. The cheapest tickets by Ryanair are 54 and 10 days before the flight.
- Avoid popular cities. If you want to get to Paris, don’t select its central airport. It’s better to opt for Champagne-Ardenne or Vatry, whose prices are much lower.
- Use other search engines too, rather than only the low-cost airline’s one as they track economy airlines and system errors. However, don’t forget to check the "direct" website flights — on rare occasions their fares might be lower.
This one is well known to experienced travelers: they hide their destination in the middle of the route.
If you need to get to Istanbul, don’t rush to book a direct flight. Sometimes, a flight to Rome with a transfer at Istanbul may be much cheaper.
Their job is simple: to analyze the prices among hundreds of airlines for the route you need, as well as sort them by set parameters: price, date, time of flight, number of stops, etc.
Here is the list of the most popular ones: