9 Fantastic Uses For Baking Soda
Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, is truly an amazing substance: not only does it have all these amazing benefits, it's also friendly to the environment. Bright Side has its own collection of the most surprising uses for such an ordinary product, and we want to share it with you.
1. Useful for your laundry
Using baking soda (dissolved in water) directly on your clothes or in your washing machine will help to:
- Soften your laundry and eliminate odors.
- Remove yellow stains from clothes and underwear.
- Remove collar and cuff stains.
- Boost detergent and bleach performance when added during the rinse cycle.
- Remove fruit and wine stains.
- Remove grease stains.
- Remove ink stains.
2. Excellent uses in the kitchen
Baking soda is a very effective and natural cleaner. Using some baking soda on a sponge or a damp cloth will work great for:
- Cleaning microwave ovens and conventional ovens.
- Removing grease stains from wood furniture and gas stoves.
- Disinfecting and deodorizing a cutting board.
- Cleaning various knobs and buttons without accidentally removing the paint or indicators.
- Cleaning glass kitchen cabinets.
- Removing tea and coffee stains.
- Washing fruits and vegetables to get rid of pesticides.
- Cleaning the inside of the fridge and freezer.
- Removing stubborn cooking smells.
- Keeping your pots as clean as when they were new.
- Removing food stuck to pans.
3. Perfect for cleaning your house
Looking for a powerful multipurpose cleaner? Just dissolve some baking soda in water and you got it! Use it as a spray or simply put some baking soda on a cloth or sponge:
- To clean jewelry, silver, and metal accessories, and to polish chrome items.
- To disinfect toilets and bathroom floors, and to get rid of mold on shower curtains.
- To unclog pipes.
- To remove stains on wood furniture.
- To clean glassware and crystals and make them shiny.
- To remove crayon stains, ink, and permanent marker stains.
- To clean a soot-stained brick fireplace.
- To clean grill grates.
- To make your sports shoes newly white again.
- To clean a stained soleplate of an iron.
- To wash and protect wicker furniture.
- To wash stuffed toys.
- To remove rust from metal tools.
4. Excellent for removing odors
Baking soda is also a powerful odor neutralizer. Use the powder on a piece of damp cloth or just leave it in the cup. This way it will:
- Deodorize your shoes.
- Get smells off your hands.
- Remove odors from refrigerators and microwaves.
- Eliminate bad smells from garbage cans.
- Get rid of cat and dog urine odors.
- Remove smells from mattresses.
- Prevent odors in suitcases.
- Deodorize your car.
5. An essential ingredient for cooking
Baking soda is probably a regular in your kitchen. If so, then you know it really is a great ingredient that can be used:
- To tenderize beef and chicken.
- To make your mashed potato super fluffy.
- To neutralize the acidity of orange juice.
- To keep the white color of cauliflower and get rid of its smell.
- To get rid of excess vinegar taste and smell.
To prevent milk from curdling.
6. Effective for curing some ailments
You can use baking soda to deal with some common ailments. Dissolve it in water and use as warm compresses or for gargling. The solution will help:
- Treat indigestion (sodium bicarbonate is an effective antacid).
- Remove gases caused by the consumption of vegetables.
- Reduce irritation caused by poison ivy or a jellyfish sting.
- Soothe itching and irritation caused by chickenpox.
- Alleviate the pain of tonsillitis and speed up the recovery process.
- Clear a stuffy nose.
- Relieve joint pain in your body.
- Soothe a burned tongue.
- Treat canker sores in your mouth.
7. The best dental care product
For dental care, baking soda is used as an application or for gargling. It will help:
- Remove stains, and prevent tartar and dental plaque.
- Get rid of bad breath.
- Combat gingivitis.
- Treat cold sores and cracked corners of the mouth.
- Clean teeth and oral appliances and dental prosthesis.
8. Your skin and hair's best friend
Baking soda is your loyal friend when it comes to skin and hair care. You can use it:
- To prevent skin irritation after shaving.
- To combat pimples and blackheads. Baking soda can also be used as a facial and body scrub.
- To remove toxins and other debris from your skin.
- To wash your hair without shampoo.
- To prevent dandruff.
- To keep cuticles soft.
- To whiten dark underarms.
- To soften elbow and knee skin.
9. Other surprising uses for baking soda
There are more amazing uses for baking soda you probably never heard about, such as:
- In case of emergency, baking soda can be used as a fire extinguisher.
- Baking soda is also used as a natural fungicide and homemade insecticide.
- To get rid of ants, make all-natural ant killer spray using baking soda and powdered sugar.
- Baking soda will help you keep cockroaches out of your home.
- Sodium bicarbonate is also used for controlling garden pests.
- Use baking soda to eliminate weeds in your lawn.