People Share 10 Cleaning Hacks That Really Work, and We Can’t Thank Them Enough
How much time do you spend on cleaning daily? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, household activities take around 2.6 hours among women, while men spent around 2.1 hours.
Bright Side has prepared a collection of cleaning life hacks to make this activity easier and faster and to help you save your time for family, friends, and your favorite hobbies.
1. How to unblock sewage pipes
Blocked sewage pipes are an unpleasant problem. A bad smell, water leakage, moisture, mold, and bacteria are just several consequences of it. If you want to solve this problem without professional service, follow the instructions below.
- Pour boiling water down the pipe.
- Add 1/2 cup of baking soda and leave it for several minutes.
- Pour a mix of 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of boiling water down your drain.
- Close the hole with a big rag and leave it for up to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, boil water.
- After 10 minutes, slowly pour the hot water down your drain.
2. How to remove ink from clothes
This can happen not only to children but also to adults. The good news is that there is a simple way out. Spray some rubbing alcohol onto the stain and let it soak for around 15 minutes. Continue sponging and blotting the stain until no ink is released from the fabric.
Rinse the clothes under cool water, pre-treat it before washing, and put it into a washing machine.
3. How to keep a refrigerator clean for longer
Are you tired of cleaning your refrigerator from jar stains, milk spills, food crumbs, or sticky leftovers? This is so exhausting to make the fridge fresh again, but, unfortunately, the effect doesn’t last for too long.
But this life hack is very simple and will help you save tons of time. Line the shelves with parchment paper or cover them with fridge mats. And when they get too dirty, simply replace or wash them.
4. How to remove scratches from dishes
Do not worry if you notice scratches on your favorite dishes. Mix a tbsp of water and 2–3 tbsp of baking soda into a runny paste. Apply the mixture to the damaged plate or mug with your finger or a cleaning cloth. Then buff the dish to remove any scratches and clean it with a damp cloth.
5. How to deal with a burned pan or pot
All people enjoy delicious food but when it comes to washing dishes, there are only a few of them willing to tackle them. And if there are burned pots or pans, then the task may even seem impossible. But there is an easy solution.
Take 2 lemons and cut them into pieces: you need to cover the whole bottom of the burnt pan. Add water to cover the bottom. Bring the water to a boil and then let it cool down and dump the water with the lemons out. All you have to do now is to lightly scrub the bottom with a brush and all the leftover grime will fall away.
6. How to fix smelly towels
If you do not know how to get the smell out of your (fresh) towels, follow this advice.
- Put the towels into your washing machine and add 1/2 cup of baking soda to them.
- Run a full wash and rinse cycle.
- Make sure that your towels are completely dry before putting them into your cupboard.
7. How to clean windows and mirrors
There are so many ways to make your windows or glasses dirty: dogs’ noses, children’s fingers, or by your own doing. And there are as many ways to clean them. Unfortunately, not all of them prove to be effective. Try the tested method below and enjoy your free time (you suddenly will have more of it than before).
Steep an extra-strong glass of black tea — for example, 3 bags in a 100-ml glass. Let it steep and cool for an hour. Transfer the brew to a spray bottle and apply it to the windows or mirrors you need to clean. Scrub with a newspaper and enjoy the result.
8. How to clean stove burners and grates without scrubbing
Do you like baking? How much time do you waste on desperate attempts to clean your stove burners and grates from oil and grease splatters? Here is a way to make them shine again without a lot of effort.
- Take around 1/4 cup of ammonia.
- Seal it up with one of the burners in a Ziploc bag.
- Leave it for 8–10 hours.
- Clean the burner with a sponge and wash it with water.
9. How to clean a coffee machine without expensive tablets
If you can’t wake up without a cup of coffee, then you probably have a coffee machine. But do you know how to easily clean it? We have discovered a special guideline for you!
- Pour 2 cups of white vinegar into your coffee machine instead of water.
- Start a brewing cycle. During the process, you will see floating parts.
- Repeat the cycle with vinegar several times until there’s nothing left floating in the machine.
- Run the brewing cycle with water several times to rinse out the coffee machine.
10. How to clean a sink
If you already know how to clean a sink, check this advice, as it suggests not only the cheapest way but it can also help kill most germs and bacteria.
- Fill half of a small bucket or saucepan with vinegar and soak anything from the sink covered with soap, water spots, or toothpaste.
- Soak the sink surface with vinegar using a sponge. Leave it for up to 5 minutes.
- Scrub the entire surface of the sink toward the basin.
- Wipe the sink with a cotton cloth or paper towel.
- Scrub the items from the basket and dry them off.
Do you know any other cleaning life hacks that really work? Help us make our life easier and share your tips in the comments below.