11 Simple Words We’re Constantly Confusing
There are some similar sounding terms that we always confuse. If you don’t see any difference between the words epilation and depilation, this article is for you. We’re sure that you’ll learn about many interesting facts.
Bright Side has collected several related words that have different meanings.
Depilation / epilation
Depilation and epilation both refer to the processes of unwanted body hair removal.
- Depilation refers to hair removal just at the surface and without damaging the follicles. The procedure doesn’t damage the structure of the hair at all. Its effect lasts from a few hours to several days. For depilation, razors and different hair removal creams are used.
- Epilation is the removal of hair entirely, including the part below the skin. It damages our hair follicles and the effect lasts from several days to several weeks. Epilation includes waxing, sugaring, lasering, and other salon procedures.
Psychotherapist / psychiatrist / psychologist
- A psychologist is an expert who has a Ph.D. in psychology. They usually work in one sphere of psychology (e.g. child psychology) and typically deal with healthy people.
- A psychiatrist has a medical degree and specializes in mental disorders and their treatment.
- A psychotherapist may be either a psychiatrist or a psychologist depending on their academic degree. They help people overcome light or moderate problems such as psychosomatic disorders, depression, eating disorders, and phobias.
Antiperspirant / deodorant
Antiperspirants and deodorants help us fight against bad body odors. But they actually have different aims.
- An antiperspirant clogs our pores and thus, blocks sweat.
- A deodorant is used to control odors that have already appeared in our armpits. It also serves as an antiseptic and affects bacteria.
Disinfection / sterilization
- Disinfection is the process of reducing harmful microorganisms from inanimate objects and surfaces. It includes airing, shaking, wiping surfaces, boiling, and using substances such as chlorine, alcohol, and so on).
- Sterilization is the process of killing all microorganisms, no matter if they’re harmful or not. This includes thermal treatment, radiation, filtration, and using gaseous or liquid substances.
Concealer / corrector
These products help us hide all the imperfections on our faces.
- A concealer is used to slightly conceal tiny blemishes. It deals really well with under-eye bags. It may also be used to highlight the contour of the lips. It’s translucent and applied after foundation.
- A corrector deals greatly with pimples, pigmentations, or red spots. It’s quite thick and has many different tones: for example, green correctors disguise red pimples. It’s always applied before foundation.
Airport / airfield
- The airfield is the runway, taxiways and basically any component that doesn’t involve the terminals themselves or anything in the building.
- An airport is referring to the runway, the shops inside the docks, the taxiways for the aircraft, and everything basically.
Hair conditioner / hair balm
- A conditioner protects our hair from harmful influences of the environment and thermal treatments. It glues together keratin particles of hair and covers them with a protective layer. A conditioner is applied to the whole surface of the hair, not covering the roots, and should be washed away immediately.
- A balm protects and enriches our hair. It contains useful elements such as oils and minerals that smooth the hair. You apply a balm to the whole surface of the hair, including roots, and wait for around 4 minutes.
Herbs / spices / seasonings
- Herbs are products that add an odor to a dish. They can be spicy, bitter, or hot. These are fragrant leaves, roots, and some vegetables. We usually call herbs “spices” by mistake. Here are some examples: ginger, pepper, bay leaves, dill, basil, onion, garlic, etc.
- Spices are used to make the flavor stronger (vinegar, citric acid) or to change the taste of a dish (salt, sugar) or its texture (yeast, starch.) It’s surprising that alcohol, baking soda, gelatin, licorice, and boric acid are also spices.
- Seasoning is a broad term. It may include both herbs and spices. By the way, when we add sour cream to mushrooms, sour cream serves as a seasoning too. Sauces, ketchup, and dry spices are seasonings as well. A seasoning isn’t a separate product, it’s just a cocktail consisting of different ingredients.
Coup / revolution
Both phenomena are aimed at making changes in a country.
- A coup is a violent replacement of the head of a state controlled by a group of people.
- A revolution is a more complicated process. It ends with drastic changes in the life of a society, resulting in destroying a current social order and building a new one.
Perfume / au de parfum / eau de toilette
- Perfume is more expensive since it contains 20% to 30% of aromatic substances per bottle. That’s why perfume is more long-lasting. As a rule, bottles are quite small.
- Eau de parfum is a light day perfume with 12% to 20% of aromatic substances dissolved in 90% alcohol. After the top notes have vanished, the heart notes of a perfume become noticeable.
- Eau de toilette contains 6% to 12% of aromatic substances dissolved in 85% alcohol. It’s usually used several times a day.
Vegetable oil / sunflower oil
- Vegetable oil is a product that people get from oilseed crops. These crops include sunflowers, olives, sesame, peanuts, and corn. Vegetable oils are used both in the kitchen and in other industries (to manufacture soap, paint, and so on).
- Sunflower oil is a kind of vegetable oil. It’s made of sunflower seeds.
Did you learn anything new from this article? We hope it was really useful! Share your impression with us in the comments.