20 Amazing Facts That’ll Make You Say, "What the...?!"
Our world is full of mysteries and secrets. Even if your everyday life appears stable and predictable, devoid of anything to feel surprised about, believe us – this isn't so!
Today Bright Side offers you a selection of 20 facts that seem absolutely incredible, yet they are 100% true.
- About 12% of people in the world can only dream in black and white.
- Unbelievably, if you salt a pineapple, it will actually become sweeter.
- Sure, rings are beautiful. But they're not as safe as you'd expect. That ring around your finger might be providing shelter for around 730 million germs.
- In addition to the famous Endangered Species List, there is also the so-called "Black Book." It contains the names of the plants and animals that have disappeared from the face of the earth due to human activity.
- The first chainsaw – the ancestor of the gas-powered saw – was invented by a German physician. He used it to cut bones.
- Ziona Chana from India is the head of the biggest family in the world. He has 39 wives, 94 children, and 33 grandchildren.
- Giant leaf insects are the largest insects in the world. Their length reaches up to 24 inches.
- To produce 2 lbs of honey, a bee has to visit about 2 million flowers.
- Until the end of the 16th century, there was no distinction between shoes made for left and right feet. A typical pair used to consist of 2 identically shaped items.
- Ostriches don't bury their heads in the sand out of fear. They just lower their heads to the ground occasionally to swallow sand and gravel. Such unusual dietary additions help them digest food.
- The imprint of a dog's nose is just as unique as a human fingerprint.
- Ma Xiuxian, a Chinese woman from the city of Jinan, became the world's oldest first grader at the age of 102.
- Married men tend to earn approximately 30% more than their unmarried colleagues.
- If you multiply the number 111,111,111 by itself, you'll get a very peculiar number: 12,345,678,987,654,321.
- A newborn panda cub weighs only about 3.5 ounces.
- The noise that we hear when we put a seashell to our ear has nothing to do with the ocean. In fact, it consists of reflected sounds generated by the surrounding environment and the flow of blood in our body.
- Hummingbirds are the only birds in the world that can fly backward.
- The weight of the human brain is about 2-3% of the total body weight. However, it uses as much as 20% of the oxygen consumed by the body.
- The world's lightest material is graphene aerogel. It is 99.8% air and able to withstand weights 4,000 times greater than its own.
- If you add up all the numbers featured on a casino roulette wheel, you'll end up with 666 – the so-called "number of the beast."