20+ Eye-Opening Facts About Ordinary Things That Will Fire Up Your Brain
Imagine the situation: you’ve come to Earth from another planet and now you’re looking around. You don’t know what those little numbers on plastic bottles are for and why Brussels sprouts taste so bad. And you get absolutely confused by seeing a rainbow at night. We hope that this article will make you feel the same way and help you see the things that you use every single day from a completely different angle.
Bright Side put together 22 facts about ordinary stuff that will totally boggle your mind.
22. The red-eye effect in pictures is caused by the blood in the back of your eyes.
21. Your foot and forearm are the same length.
20. 15% of the air you breathe in a metro station is human skin.
19. Chocolate contains the same chemical that your brain produces when you fall in love.
18. There’s a difference between poisonous and venomous animals. If you bite it and you die, it’s poisonous. If it bites you and you die, it’s venomous.
17. There is a genetic mutation in half of the world’s population that causes Brussels sprouts to taste very bitter.
16. The designer of the current United States flag was 17 at the time and created it as part of a high school project. He got a B-.
15. Expiration dates on bottled water are for the bottle and not for the water inside it.
14. If you could sell every organ and chemical in your body, you would make about $45 million.
13. If a man pees on a pregnancy test and it turns out positive, he probably has testicular cancer.
12. There are no words in the English language that rhyme with “wolf.”
11. When your pet is lying on their belly with their back legs splayed out behind them, they’re trying to cool down. By the way, this is called splooting.
10. Plane food isn’t that tasty because dry air and low pressure reduce the sensitivity of your taste buds by around 30%.
9. The reason why you never see baby pigeons is because they live in their nest for about 30 days. At this point, they look like adult pigeons.
8. Turtles can’t come out of their shells.
7. The keyboard of your computer carries 20,000 times more bacteria than a toilet seat.
6. Barcode scanners scan the white space between the black bars, and not vice versa.
5. You can check the radiation level of a smartphone by dialing *#07#. If it’s more than 1.6 w/kg, change your phone immediately.
4. Rainbows can appear at night. In this case, they are called “moonbows.”
3. Tears of joy and tears of sadness look different under a microscope.
2. Fruit stickers are actually edible.
1. Similar to fingerprints, everyone has a unique tongue print.
Do you know any other surprising facts about ordinary things? Let’s continue the list together in the comments!