20+ Facts That Sound So Baffling They Should Be False
Recently Reddit user jcvks started a thread in which people shared facts that seem phony, but are actually true — like the fact that it really rains diamonds on Saturn and Jupiter or that the lighter was invented 3 years before the first match.
Here at Bright Side we love learning about our universe and what we love even more is sharing that knowledge with you! Here you go — a list of crazy facts that sound like they’re made up, but actually 100% true.
1. You can boil water in a paper cup over an open flame
2. The longest time between 2 twins being born is 87 days.
3. You’ve never seen your real face (only pictures and reflections of it).
4. Oxford University was established around 200 years before the Aztec empire was formed.
5. On Saturn and Jupiter it rains diamonds.
7. A human’s DNA is 60% similar to a banana’s DNA.
8. Switzerland has accidentally invaded Liechtenstein 3 times in the last 50 years, because it’s very small.
9. Dolphins have names for each other.
10. Giant squids have a donut shaped brain so their esophagus can run through the middle.
11. The largest snowflake ever recorded reportedly measured 15 inches across.
12. The heart of a blue whale is so massive, that a human can go for a swim through its arteries.
13. Shakespeare invented the name Jessica for his play Merchant of Venice.
14. You cannot snore and dream at the same time.
16. Honey never expires. In fact, you could eat 2000-year-old honey and be ok.
17. Pineapples take 2 years to grow (and they grow out of the ground).
18. The only English word that ends with “mt” is “dreamt.”
19. Your nose is always in your sight (your brain just ignores it)
20. Cheetahs can’t roar. They can only meow like domestic house cats.
22. Hippo milk is pink.
23. The Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme never mentions that he’s an egg.
24. There are more tigers in Texas than in the rest of the world.
25. Poppyseeds look like baby peanuts under a microscope.
26. You’ve probably drank water that contains molecules of water that once passed through a dinosaur.
27. A million seconds is approximately 11 days. A billion seconds is about 32 years.
28. Brussels sprouts grow on stalks.
Were there any facts that you already knew? Do you have any surprising facts to add to the list? We’d be happy to hear from you in the comments!