20+ Photos That Show Us How People Lived Their Lives Decades Ago
Today, we can’t imagine life without all of our fancy tech gadgets. They have become such an integral part of our lives, that living without them seems impossible at times. But let’s not forget that there was a time before the digital era where people lived completely different lives.
We at Bright Side wanted to show you how people lived their lives in the past, so we made a compilation of pictures from the past that shows just how much time changes things.
1. How people used cabs, NYC, 1900
2. A young girl in London, 1906
3. Testing a helmet, 1912
4. Woman riding an autoped, the early motor scooter, 1916
5. People using triple-decker buses in Berlin, Germany, 1926
6. Berlin Zoo handler gives Roland, a 4,000 pound elephant seal, a snow bath, the 1930s
7. People watching a television set for the first time at Waterloo Station, London, 1936
8. 4 skiers sunbathe in the snow in Sun Valley, Idaho,1946
9. Teenagers dancing and socializing at a party, 1947
10. Fashionistas back in the day, Los Angeles, 1950s
11. My grandpa at age 16 with his new guitar, 1956, Greenwood, Mississippi
12. Listening to a record during music class, 1957
13. My sis and I, 1962-ish... On the back, it says “Doing the Twist.”
14. Check-in time at Alaska Airlines, the early 1960s
15. Girl on a scooter, New York, 1964
16. Teenage meet-up on Main Street, Caldwell, Idaho, June-July 1941
17. My grandmother preparing on her wedding day, 1968
18. My mom’s all-girl rock band in the 1960s
19. Late-night phone calls at the girls’ dorm, 1970
20. Before the smartphone, reading while shaving, 1977
21. Kids dressed for Halloween on a school bus, the 1980s
22. A nerd in the 1980s
23. My pops finally beating Super Mario Bros. on Christmas night, 1988. The Nintendo was a present for “me and my sister.”
24. This mother is helping her son through a tough level in Super Mario Land on a Nintendo Gameboy in 1989.
25. My birthday, 1991. Long Island, New York
Are you surprised by how people used to live their lives in the past? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Preview photo credit Slow-moving-sloth / Reddit