30 Unexpected Facts That Shook Our World
Did you know that leeches have more than 1, 2 or even 10 brains? Did you know the tongue is actually in a different position in the mouth than we imagine? Can you guess why shoelaces on sneakers often untie? Prepare to be amazed because the answers to these burning questions can be quite unexpected.
We at Bright Side love learning new things and sharing them with you.
- A leech actually has 32 brains.
- Most people don’t notice that when they don’t use their tongue, it’s actually closer to the upper palate than the lower one.
- The biggest time period between the birth of twins is 87 days.
- In Ancient Rome, rich people had feasts with a special meal: a chicken inside a duck inside a goose, placed inside a pig that was inside a cow.
- Some frogs like the Leopard frog, for example, use their eyes in order to push food down their esophagus: they pull their eyes into their skull, pushing the food in their mouth.
- Deaf people who have schizophrenia don't hear voices in their heads; they see hands that "speak" sign language.
- If a tooth was removed or lost in a fight along with its root, it can be placed right back and will heal.
- The first person who had a huge impact on Earth's climate was Genghis Khan. More than 40 million people died during his conquests. The lands previously used for growing plants were occupied by trees that consumed 700 million tons of carbon that led to a drop of temperature on our planet.
- According to research, children born prematurely are more often left-handed than ones that are born as planned.
- According to scientists, biochemical processes that happen in the body when a person falls in love are exactly the same as ones that occur in a person who has an obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Our taste receptors don't work without saliva — if you put food on a dry tongue, you won't taste it.
- Thanks to Shakespeare, about 1,700 new words appeared in the English language. Additionally, he was the person who created the name, Jessica.
- Do you know why shoelaces on boots and sneakers constantly untie? As it turns out, while you're walking, the laces are under a 7 g-force which means that the pressure on them is 7 times more than normal. In order to really understand how much it is, try to recall your last rollercoaster experience. During a sharp turn, people experience a 6.3 g-force.
- There is enough carbon in the human body to produce 9,000 pencils.
- The weight of a blue whale's tongue is equal to the weight of an elephant.
- Scientists believe that freshly cut grass has a certain smell because the plants have a reaction to the mechanical damage. The purpose of the smell is to warn other grass of the upcoming danger.
Polydactyly can be genetically inherited.
9-banded armadillos always have 4 genetically identical babies.
- Pirates wore a black patch on their eyes not to hide its absence. This trick helped them to see better in dark places, for example, in the cargo hold so the eye could better adapt to darkness.
- There are around 400 phobias.
- The filling between the waffles in a KitKat is made of other KitKats that were not accepted because of the imperfect shape of bubbles in the chocolate.
- The first web camera was placed in Cambridge University near an electric coffee pot. It was used to broadcast the picture of the coffee pot in order to let the people who worked far from the room it was placed in know how much coffee there was at the moment. That way, they didn't have to waste time walking over to see if the pot was empty.
- If you could drive to the moon by car, it would take you about 6 months to get there at 62 miles per hour.
- An alpaca can get sick and die from loneliness.
- The Ring of Fire is the area on the perimeter of the Pacific Ocean where there are 328 out of the 540 active volcanos on the planet along with 75 of all earthquakes and eruptions in the world.
- If Saturn was placed in water, it would float on the surface.
- The white dots that you can see in front of your eyes when you look at the sky are actually white blood cells.
- Einstein's eyes were given to his eye doctor after the autopsy. He placed them in his safe. It is believed that they are still in the safe in New York.
Bonus: The danger of using an air conditioner right after starting a car is overblown.
There was an online rumor that said if you left your car parked in shade (let alone in the sunlight on a hot day), when you entered the car and turned on the air conditioner, you'd breathe in a dangerous toxin called benzene. In order to avoid serious health issues (such as skin problems, liver, and kidney dysfunction), right after you start driving, according to the source of the rumor, you are supposed to open the windows in your car for a couple of minutes to ventilate the air. However, there is scientific proof that this is just an overblown concern. The American Chemical Society released a report that concluded there is no dangerous amount of benzene in parked cars.
We bet after reading the fact about the positioning of the tongue, you checked it in your own mouth! Which fact shocked you the most? Tell us about it in the comments.