Bright Side

Why Education Is Becoming Overrated Nowadays

According to statistics, only about 60% of students make it to their graduation and get their bachelor’s degree. And this does not mean the other 40% ended badly. In today’s fast-paced world, higher education does not promise you success. Lately, we’ve been hearing more stories of self-taught entrepreneurs that didn’t waste any time and conquered the world, while others were studying in college.

Here at Bright Side we follow global trends and want to understand why higher education is slowly depreciating nowadays.

1. Huge fees

Often, education costs a lot of money and eventually graduates will have to seek a high-paying job to pay off their debts. But then there’s another problem — a lot of companies only hire people with work experience. Therefore, many choose to immediately plunge into working life after high school — and in the same 4-5 years they become skilled specialists and are at a decent salary level with extensive professional experience.

2. Plenty of innovators never had a diploma.

Oprah started her TV career when she was 19, Mark Zuckerberg dropped out of Harvard University during his sophomore year to work on his “Facebook” project. Education makes a good follower — you perceive information as given, without questioning it, standardizing knowledge for typical tests and exams, while others break into work with a flexible mind and fresh ideas and become successful.

3. New professions emerge every day.

20 years ago, robotics technicians, SEO specialists, and nutritionists weren’t around. Some areas are developing so fast that you simply can’t learn about them in school. One example is online entrepreneurship. Higher education is a complex institution that does not keep up with rapid changes in the world. And it’s pretty scary to think about how the job market will change in another 20 years — there will be jobs that don`t even have names yet.

4. Online learning is power.

Universities provide a fairly general education, despite the fact that the subjects are related to your major. Today there are a huge number of online platforms that can help you develop a certain skill, because sometimes it’s just unnecessary to spend 4 or 5 years studying at a university.

For example, a lot of successful programmers are self-taught — like Bill Gates and Julian Assange — they learned programming languages ​​from textbooks or online lessons and immediately put their knowledge into practice. It still sometimes turns out to be much more effective than looking for a suitable program at a university and spending 4 or 5 years studying.

Did you go to college? Do you know any successful stories of people with no higher education? We’d be happy to hear from you in the comment section below!

Illustrated by Alena Sofronova for Bright Side