9 Actors Who Tied Their Fate to the Royals and Nobles
The wedding of Prince Harry and Hollywood actress Meghan Markle has become one of the brightest and most discussed events of 2018. We decided to dive into the history of the matter and it turns out that it’s not the first time that a royal persona or a representative of an aristocratic dynasty has tied their destiny with an actor. Our selection includes several quite unexpected names including a male actor who got married to the daughter of a princess.
Bright Side will tell you about the unions of actors and aristocrats who chose love over a set of century-old rules.
- Acting career: Rita Hayworth was one of the most famous Hollywood stars of the 40s and a true legend of that era. The brightest movies she starred in are Blood and Sand, Cover Girl, You’ll Never Get Rich, Gilda, and The Lady From Shanghai.
- Husband: Prince of Pakistan Aly Khan, a son of Sultan Aga Khan III.
- Title after marriage: Princess.
Rita Hayworth was married 5 times. Aly Khan was her third husband. The actress and the prince, who was married at that time, met at the Cannes Film Festival and started an affair. When Hayworth got pregnant, Khan divorced his wife and they had a daughter, Yasmin Aga Khan. In 1949, they got married. Rita Hayworth became Princess Rita and it was the first time that this Hollywood actress had ever held such a title. In 1953, Hayworth divorced the Prince because she couldn’t stand his affairs with other women.
- Acting career: Grace Kelly starred in 11 films including Dial M for Murder, Rear Window, To Catch a Thief, and also The Country Girl for which she later was awarded an Oscar. She was Alfred Hitchcock’s muse and the highest-paid actress of her time.
- Husband: Prince of Monaco Rainier III.
- Title after the marriage: Princess of Monaco.
The actress and the Prince met at the filming of To Catch a Thief. After her marriage with the representative of a royal family, Grace left her acting career. The couple had 3 children. Grace died at the age of 52 in a car accident. She had a stroke, lost control over the vehicle, and her car fell off the road at a sharp turn on a mountain slope.
- Acting career: Olivia started her career as an actress on a TV series and became really famous after her role in House M.D.
- Husband: From 2003 to 2011 Olivia was married to director Tao Ruspoli. Tao Ruspoli is the son of Italian aristocrat Alessandro Ruspoli.
Olivia Wilde was just 18 when she got married the representative of one of the most famous Roman aristocratic families — Prince Tao Ruspoli. The marriage took place in an old Italian castle. After 8 years of marriage, the couple broke up.
- Acting career: Elia is an Albanian actress and singer. She mainly took part in plays at the National Theatre of Albania.
- Husband: Leka, Crown Prince of Albania. The Albanian monarchists call him Leka II Zogu, he’s been the King of Albania since 2011.
- Title after the marriage: Crown Princess.
On May 10, 2010, the engagement of Crown Prince of Albania and actress Elia Zaharia was announced. Elia was born in 1983, her family has aristocratic roots. The marriage was held on October 8, 2016, in Tirana 6 years after their engagement. The wedding was attended by more than 100 representatives of monarch dynasties from many countries, and diplomats from Europe and the Middle East.
- Acting career: Since 1988, the actress has starred in 41 films. One of the brightest roles was the part of Annette in The Passionate Life of Edith Piaf.
- Husband: Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy, Prince of Venice, a member of the House of Savoy, the son and heir of Vittorio Emanuele di Savoia, the grandson of Umberto II, the last King of Italy.
- Title after the marriage: Princess of Venice.
Prince of Venice Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy and French actress Clotilde Courau got married in 2003. The groom’s family was embarrassed by the absence of high lineage and the public career of Courau. But Clotilde became the Prince’s faithful companion and is supportive of all his initiatives. The couple has 2 daughters.
Jamie Lee Curtis
- Acting career: At the beginning of her career the actress played in horror movies like Halloween, Terror Train, Prom Night, and Halloween II. Other well-known movies she starred in are A Fish Called Wanda, True Lies, and Freaky Friday.
- Husband: Christopher Guest, an English lord and the 5th Baron Haden-Guest (he inherited this title after his father’s death in 1996).
- Title after the marriage: She’s the Baroness Haden-Guest since 1996.
Jamie Lee Curtis and Christopher Guest got married in 1984 and have stayed together since then (more than 30 years). The couple has 2 adopted children. Christopher Guest is a scriptwriter, composer, and actor. He has starred in more than 60 movies. Despite the fact that the title of a Baron is considered to be the lowest in the British system, the couple’s titles sound honorable in the cinema world.
Zsa Zsa Gabor
- Acting career: In 1952, Gabor debuted in the movie called We’re Not Married!, and then in Moulin Rouge where she played dancer Jane Avril. Later she appeared mainly on TV and sometimes starred in the movies playing herself or in minor episodic roles. Her most famous movies are A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, The Beverly Hillbillies, and A Very Brady Sequel.
- Husband: Frédéric Prinz von Anhalt, an adopted son of the German Princess Marie-Auguste of Anhalt. Born Hans Georg Robert Lichtenberg.
- Title after the marriage: Sári Prinz von Anhalt.
Zsa Zsa was married 9 times, her last husband was Frédéric Prinz von Anhalt. The couple got married in 1986 and their marriage lasted until the actress’ death in 2016 at the age of 99 (she was 26 years older than her husband). But he was the Prince just in words: Marie-Auguste’s relatives didn’t accept him. The system of titles in Germany has long since become rudimentary. Nevertheless, Lichtenberg solved the problem quite smartly by changing his name to Frédéric and his last name to Prinz von Anhalt. He calls himself Prince Frédéric von Anhalt, the Duke of Saxony and Westphalia.
Casper Van Dien
- Acting career: Casper Van Dien is widely known thanks to his role as Johnny Rico from Starship Troopers and Starship Troopers 3: Marauder.
- Wife: Catherine Oxenberg is the daughter of Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia. On her mother’s side, Catherine has common ancestors with the British Royal Family and is the 1,375th in line to the throne of the UK. She’s also a remote descendant of the Russian imperial family.
Casper and Catherine got married in 1999. She’s also an actress (better known for her role of Amanda Carrington in the TV series Dynasty). They met on the filming set and afterward launched a reality TV show called I Married a Princess that was broadcasted in the US, the UK, and Australia. In 2015, they split up.
- Acting career: Meghan Markle is better known for her role as Rachel Zane from the TV series Suits. The actress also starred in Remember Me and Horrible Bosses.
- Husband: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex is the youngest son of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Princess Diana, and the grandson of Queen Elisabeth II. Today he is the sixth in the line of succession to the British throne.
- Title after marriage: Dutchess of Sussex.
The couple met in June 2016. Harry and Meghan told the press how they met in their mutual interview after the engagement. The actress came to the UK on a working visit and their common friend set them up on a blind date that turned out to be groundbreaking for both of them. In less than 2 years, Harry and Meghan got married.
Bonus: Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII
Meghan Markle is often compared to twice-divorced American Wallis Simpson. And if it wasn’t for this story, Queen Elisabeth II would never have become the queen, and Prince Charles and Prince William would be at the very end of the lineage to the throne.
Mrs. Simpson, the future Duchess of Windsor, was not an actress in contrast to other people from this article. She was a so-called “IT” girl. Her parents were from 2 great families in the American South. Edward, the future King of Britain at that time, and Wallis met in London where she moved with her second husband. Edward and Wallis started an affair.
After his father’s death, (January 20, 1936) the Prince of Wales was proclaimed Edward VIII, but the government of the UK didn’t approve of his desire to marry this divorced woman with a dubious reputation. That’s why Edward decided to abdicate the throne. He expressed his feelings via a radio broadcast, saying: “I have found it impossible to discharge my duties as king as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love.” As the result, George VI, the father of Elisabeth II, became the King.
What do you think about the unions between the royals and actors and celebrities? Express your opinion in the comments.