15+ Real Life Women Who Show Us That Embracing Your Body Goes Beyond Chasing Beauty Standards
As women, we’re constantly bombarded with images of how our bodies are supposed to look. Hourglass figures, hairless bodies, and flawless faces — these are just some of the unrealistic standards we’re supposed to adhere to. Luckily for us, we can follow the example of fierce women that finally gave up on chasing the unattainable beauty ideal and now focus on feeling good about themselves, allowing their self-esteem to skyrocket.
Bright Side loves to see strong women feeling their best and having fun at the same time, and we’ve gathered some real-life women that might teach us a thing or 2 about feeling good from the inside out.
1. “I may have some rolls, but who doesn’t love biscuits?”
2. “After years of struggling with my self-esteem due to my bald patches showing, I decided to get rid of what made me so unhappy, and I think I’m gonna rock this look!”
3. “I went to the beach, and for the first time in my life, I enjoyed myself instead of scrutinizing how I looked.”
4. “Basking my hairy pits in the sun!”
5. “I’m feeling brave and not wearing anything to cover up my chin acne.”
6. “I’m slowly starting to work on loving myself and not getting too immersed in that social media ’perfect body’ representation; I’m slowly getting there.”
7. “So much fur, I feel like a little bear or something!”
“It’s beautiful either way! 😍” ChasteMade / Reddit
8. “Thick thighs save lives! Feeling happy in the sun!”
9. “I used to hate my wide nose, but once I realized it’s my mom’s nose too, it became my favorite part of my face.”
10. “I got some new stuff at the mall, and this is your reminder that your tummy does not need to be perfectly flat! All tummies are valid and cute. 💕”
11. “This is a reminder to you all that you can have cellulite and spider veins and still be hot!”
12. “Today is my thirtieth birthday. I’d usually wear something black and baggy, but after 1 year of self-love, I bought myself my first sparkly (and fitted-ish) dress!”
13. “This will be the first summer I haven’t shaved. Sometimes I feel self-conscious, but mostly, I feel empowered!”
14. “Your body looks so good!” -> “My body IS so good!”
15. “A reminder that all bodies are bikini bodies”
16. “Plus-sized and pregnant with my second — honestly, I’ve never felt more beautiful!”
In your group of friends, have you noticed women are becoming more body-positive? How do you talk to yourself about your body? Do you believe we care less about beauty standards as we age?
Bright Side has its own podcasts now. Take cool articles with you and listen to new stories whenever and wherever you want.