20 Tattoos That Actually Do Have a Meaning Behind Them
For some people, tattoos are a form of art, for others, they are just a fashion statement. There’re also many people who think of them just as another way of expressing themselves or feeling connected to something. However, there’s a special group of people who decide to mark their skin permanently because that’s the best way to say something meaningful about their lives, or to honor and remember special beings that cannot be with them anymore.
Bright Side loves finding and sharing these types of images and stories with you, that could potentially change someone’s life. In this case, it’s not just about a story, but it’s literally something carved into people’s skin, which makes it extra special. Also, we added a bonus about how a celebrity got her first tattoo at the age of 62 at the end of the article.
1. “Tea is very important at my Grandma’s house and everyone has an assigned teacup with a particular pattern. Mine is ‘Brigadoon’ Scottish Thistle. I’ve had tea from that cup my entire life, every time I visited my grandma. Today I got the pattern tattooed as a band on my arm.”
2. “My favorite tattoo, always. A realistic portrait of my dogs paw. Forever, and always my heartbeat at my feet.”
3. “A recreation of my grandpa’s 50 year old tattoo”
4. “My father passed away almost 2 months ago. Today is his birthday and he always wanted us to have matching tattoos.”
5. “Tattooed some new brows on a client with alopecia!” (a condition in which hair is lost from some or all areas of the body)
6. “Got this tattoo in memory of my best friend growing up. He was an amazing pup/extra parent. And I still miss him every day.”
7. “A tattoo for my sister and I. Us against the universe.”
8. “Decided to get my first tattoo on my 23rd! A lot of people don’t even know I have hearing issues until I tell them, so this is just a helpful reminder.”
9. “Just got my very first tattoo today! 4 birds in memory of my 4 babies. (3 miscarriages and a stillborn)”
10. “Single needle silhouette tattoo of my grandpa who passed away in July of this year.”
11. “I was really excited to get this last year. Now it’s kind of bittersweet, RIP.”
12. “When cultures breed. The tartan is my mum’s side of the family and the Maori is my dad’s side.”
13. “We’re getting matching tattoos for all the trips we take together- it rained all week for this one.”
14. A family picture for ever
15. “I asked the artist to draw something that represented my sensitivity... I know that my dog will die, but\ I will always carry it with me! And I also love the signature with the red dot. It makes everything unique.”
16. The love of a grandmother for her grandkids in one picture
17. “My little red badge of courage while taking care of my mom in the hospital”
18. “Got this portrait done yesterday of my dog who passed away 3 years ago. 💜”
19. 3 butterflies that cover an appendix removal surgery that left some scars
20. “My mother always had beautiful handwriting and wrote this at the end of every single card and letter. She passed in October.”
Bonus: Even at 62, Madonna was not afraid to get her first tattoo with a special meaning: the initials of her 6 children.
Do you have a tattoo with a story worth telling? Share your photos, meanings, and stories in the comments.