10 Ways to Firm Up Your Skin After Weight Loss or Pregnancy
Women who exercise at least 2.5 hours per week during pregnancy have more of a chance to return back to their normal weight quickly. But sometimes this is not enough to see your skin firm up again. By following expert tips as part of a plan, you have a better chance at having your skin return to normal and firm up again.
We at Bright Side respect every type of body shape and would like to share professional advice with you on how to tighten your belly skin.
1. Keep your bedroom cool.
Believe it or not, you need to start with your quality and quantity of sleep because it affects your health and your skin. There are 4 main things that you need to know:
- Your bedroom should be as dark as possible.
- Your bedroom should be cool. The best temperature is 18.3°C (65°F). If you feel cold, it’s better to use more blankets than to make the heater work harder.
- No large meals within 2 hours before bed.
- No gadgets while lying in bed.
2. Use creams with retinoids.
Firming creams can help make your skin look younger, but don’t forget that you need to apply them consistently to make the effect cumulative. Doctors suggest using a retinoid cream to firm skin. Its derivatives include Vitamin A, which increases the maturation and turnover of skin cells.
3. Walk for 20 minutes every day or perform strength exercises.
Staying active is good for your mood and general well-being. It keeps your metabolism high and saturates your cells with oxygen. As a result, the quality of your skin gets better. Doctors recommend walking every day for 20 minutes, in case you miss training.
At the same time, targeted abdominal exercises won’t necessarily help you tighten your skin but they will help you develop more muscle.
4. Do a massage with almond oil.
Aside from soothing dry skin, almond oil can improve skin tone. Use it for a belly massage to double the effect. You can also use tightening creams during this procedure. One study showed that a regular massage with a hand-operated oscillating massage tool had positive effects.
How to do the massage:
- Lie flat on your back and warm your hands. Apply the oil or cream.
- Use the palm of your hand to massage your entire stomach in a clockwise direction several times.
- Then massage the centerline of your abdomen. Start with your sternum and end at your pubic bone.
- Do the same motions on the left and then on the right side of the abdomen.
- Continue massaging with gentle pressure and circle outward from your navel in a clockwise direction.
- Continue massaging for up to 20 minutes.
5. Get skin wraps
If you use a body wrap at home, make sure you drink enough water, especially while you exercise. Follow all of the instructions and don’t use the wrap for longer than it’s intended for. You can apply wraps for 30-90 minutes along with firming creams or lotions.
6. Keep your cholesterol and cortisol checked.
As we said, to fight a loose skin problem you need to do everything as part of a holistic plan. It’s always better to check your cholesterol level because when it slows down, the lipid barrier starts to break up and the skin loses moisture quicker. Your skin needs to stay hydrated in order to become more firm.
Also, pay attention to your cortisol level because it can show how stressed you are. There is evidence that high levels of cortisol can cause a thinning and weakening of the skin.
7. Eat one serving of lean protein a day.
Experts recommend eating 2 servings of fruits, 2 servings of vegetables, and 0.75 g of protein per kilo of body weight per day. A protein portion should fit into the palm of your hand, which is approximately one serving.
8. Practice coffee scrub
Specialists suggest that coffee scrub massages can assist in lymphatic drainage and stretch skin tissue so your skin gets more elastic and improves cellulite appearance. If you combine it with retinol and carnitine, caffeine increases the thickness of the top layer of skin.
Never mix with used coffee grounds for your scrub because these have already been damaged. And be sure that you apply a traditional coffee, not decaf. Scrub 1-2 times a week depending on your skin type.
9. Pay attention to the color of your urine.
Drink about 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men and about 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women. And after using the toilet don’t forget to check the color of your urine. Normally it should be pale yellow throughout the day. If it is dark yellow, then you need to drink more water.
10. Don’t use strict diets.
By torturing yourself with strict diets you won’t be able to get your skin to firm up again. The body needs nutrition, including healthy fats. Experts say that crash diets like only eating carrots and celery for 30 days, or following a tea and toast diet consisting of 800 calories per day, etc can be detrimental for your skin.
What tips do you have that help you to improve the quality of your skin? How much water do you drink per day?