10 Ways to Get Rid of Sagging Face and Neck Skin
According to statistics posted by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, in 2017, 17 million women sought out Botox in order to tighten their sagging skin on both their face and neck! Even though Botox can be the easy way out, especially when someone has the financial ability to do so, there are many natural ways which are not widely known to get rid of sagging skin. Mostly because it takes time, dedication, and sacrifice. But when you try these tips, not only will you get rid of sagging skin, but your overall health will improve as well.
Here at Bright Side, we found 10 natural ways to get rid of sagging skin at any age and prevent it in the future without resorting to aesthetic surgery or needles.
1. Limit your sugar
We keep learning more and more negative effects that sugar has on our overall health, and when it comes to our skin it does more harm than good. Regular sugar consumption starts a process in our digestive system called glycation that results in AGE’s. These AGE’s break down the collagen that your body produces (which is the protein that keeps our skin tight) even faster than it should and it prevents it from being reproduced as regularly as it needs to.
This results in the skin becoming saggier and the appearance of wrinkles. When you eliminate sugar, the production of collagen will be re-balanced and both your skin and body will be strong and hydrated.
- The maximum amount of sugar that your body needs without harming your health is 6 tsp daily.
- But keep in mind that almost all the food we eat might contain sugar, so it is important to avoid it with your morning coffee or tea.
2. Try coconut oil
Coconut oil is the ultimate moisturizer. Because of its consistency, when you apply coconut oil on to the skin it fills the pores and wrinkles that may begin to appear keeping the skin smooth and hydrated, which is extremely important.
In addition, the fatty acids present in coconut oil can penetrate the skin due to its low molecular weight, unlike all water-based moisturizers, and they can protect your skin’s natural proteins. According to a study done by the National Institute of Health, coconut oil can effectively treat dry skin, prevent sagging skin, and eliminate wrinkles.
- You can apply a small amount of coconut oil on to the skin in the morning, and double the amount at night right before bed.
- It is important to look for an organic coconut oil that hasn’t been deodorized or treated in any way!
- Do NOT forget to apply it on your neck as well because sometimes we neglect our neck area when it comes to moisturizing.
3. Double up on antioxidants
The skin is the largest organ in the human body and it is exposed to oxidization the most, which means your skin gets damaged just by going through your daily routine. Foods that are rich in anti-oxidants can help fight the damage that oxidative stress has done to your skin.
Even though you might get a moisturizer that is allegedly rich in anti-oxidants and can help revitalize your skin, when it comes to antioxidants the best job starts on the inside. Instead of spending a huge amount of money on an expensive moisturizer, start eating foods that will get your skin back on track and reduce any signs of aging.
- Try eating lots of blueberries, grapes, strawberries, blackberries, red kidney beans, spinach, and kale.
4. Wash your face
We’ve all been guilty of sleeping in our makeup because we were too tired or too lazy to remove it. But it is important to take a few extra minutes in the morning and at night to wash your face, especially when it comes removing makeup. When makeup is applied to the skin, it slowly gets absorbed through the pores, and because almost all make-up products contain harsh chemicals this then adds and contributes to the oxidative stress that the skin cells go through on a daily basis.
- It is important to use a water-based cleanser and then add some cold water on top in order to help your pores close.
- Do NOT use a face scrub in the evening, just use a scrub once or twice a week in order to avoid irritating your skin and forcing your skin cells to be removed when they don’t need to be.
- Apply a tiny bit of coconut oil as a moisturizer after you’ve cleansed your face.
5. Beta carotene and vitamin A
According to a recent study done at the National Institute of Health, a combination of beta carotene, which is present in many foods, and vitamin A can prevent and repair the aging of the skin, which is why we often see it as a main ingredient in many anti-aging skin moisturizers and sunscreens. Beta carotene has been proven to block the sun’s ultraviolet light from damaging and aging the skin and vitamin A stimulates collagen production and elastic fibers in the skin.
- Both beta carotene and vitamin A are present in foods like carrots, sweet potatoes, kale, spinach, cantaloupe, and apricots.
- The recommended daily allowance of both vitamin A and beta carotene is 30 mg.
6. Apply cucumber juice
As we age, components of the skin like collagen, which promotes firmness, and elastin, which provides elasticity, are produced 1% less every year after the age of 20! The skin then slowly begins to thin and sag in areas like the face, neck, and chest. So it is important to take care of those areas more frequently than other parts of the body with regular masks.
Cucumbers and cucumber juice work miracles when it comes to skin care. They are abundant in the mineral silica which is an essential component for healthy skin tissue, and ascorbic acid which can prevent water retention in the skin. When applied topically, cucumbers can draw out toxins from the skin’s pores and tighten collagen beneath the skin.
How to use:
- Get 1 cucumber, peel it, and cut it in small pieces.
- Grind it for 10 — 20 seconds until it becomes a watery juice.
- After that, put it in a strainer and separate the water from the paste.
- Wash your face as you normally would do at night with an oil-free cleanser.
- Dab the juice on a cotton pad and then apply it on your face, neck, and chest.
- Leave for 20 minutes until it dries.
- Wash your face with cold water and pat it dry.
- Repeat this method twice a week.
7. Mix baking soda and coconut oil
Both coconut oil and baking soda have great anti-aging benefits. Baking soda is a natural ingredient used to exfoliate the skin and get rid of dead skin cells, shrink large pores, and promote the production of collagen when massaged into the skin. Coconut oil, as we explained above, is great for moisturizing your skin, penetrating the skin, and treating sagging and wrinkles that appear over time.
By combining the 2 together you will be able to exfoliate your skin, moisturize it, and massage it which will promote blood flow underneath the skin and induce the production of collagen.
How to use:
- Fill 1/4 of a jar with coconut oil (pick a jar with a lid so you can store it for later use).
- Add 3 tbsp of baking soda and mix well until it becomes a paste.
- In the morning, scoop out 1 tsp of the paste and massage it all over your face and neck for 1-2 minutes (avoid the delicate eye area).
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water and pat dry!
- Repeat this 2 times a week.
8. Mix egg white and honey
Egg whites and honey have numerous health benefits for the skin when applied topically and scientific evidence can now prove it. According to a study from the Agocampu Rennes Sciences et Technologie Research Center, egg whites are proven to reduce wrinkles, fine lines, and reverse skin sagging. During their research, they took eggs from chickens and broke down the ingredients of the egg whites. By doing this they found 69 major proteins that revitalize and tighten the skin when applied topically.
Honey is abundant in antioxidants, can remove dirt, and penetrate the skin. In addition, it is hygroscopic, like glycerin, which means it moisturizes the skin and absorbs water from the environment. Combining these ingredients together they become a powerful skin treatment.
How to use:
- Separate 1 egg white from the yolk into a bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of honey and mix well until it becomes a paste.
- Apply on the skin, face, and neck (avoid the delicate eye area).
- Leave on for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water and pat dry!
- Repeat once a week.
Just like leg muscles can respond to exercise with firming and toning, facial muscles respond to exercises as well. Muscles form a strong foundation for the skin, so when the muscles lose tone, the skin will follow and will start sagging. The theory behind facial exercises and face yoga is that they can tone the facial muscles, improve blood circulation, and tighten the skin.
9. The “Spoon” exercise
This exercise is ideal for raising your cheekbones, Reducing nasolabial folds, improving blood circulation, and both tightening and strengthening neck muscles.
How to perform:
- Take a clean tablespoon, the purse your lips and place it between them in the middle.
- Using your jaw, raise up the tablespoon.
- Smile and keep it place for 5 — 10 seconds.
- Relax your cheeks for a small break (10 seconds).
- Repeat 10 times.
- Do this exercise every morning after you wake up and every evening right before bed.
10. The eye lifting exercise
This exercise is ideal for lifting the skin around the eyes and cheekbones. It can rejuvenate the skin around the eyes and forehead and remove fine lines. In addition, this will strengthen the muscles around the eyes and forehead.
How to perform:
- Put both your index and middle fingers in a scissor position.
- Place them beside your eyes (one above the eyebrows and one above the cheekbones).
- And start squinting repeatedly for 20 seconds.
- Relax your eyes for a few seconds.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Do this exercise every morning and after you wake up and every evening right before bed!
It is important to remember that it takes time and effort to tighten sagging skin, but nature always has a slower yet effective process and sometimes cosmetic surgery isn’t the answer. Love yourself whether you look younger or older!
Have you tried any of these methods to get rid of sagging skin? What worked the best for you? Please share your experience with us in the comments below.