9 Etiquette Rules We’re Constantly Breaking
Why would a modern person need to know etiquette? Our lives are fast, we eat on the go, stay all day in pajamas, and drink tea and coffee from paper cups. But sometimes it's really useful and beneficial to slow down, dine at a fancy restaurant, and make a good impression. Being polite and looking good is never out of fashion.
Bright Side spells out the basic etiquette rules that will help you to look stylish and charming.
A proper greeting is very important. The first impression is based on this which is why it's useful to be equipped with a couple of rules:
- You should shake someone's hand fast without holding it for too long or pulling it toward you. You have to respect your companion's personal space. Patting someone on the shoulder (even if you know the person well) is considered to be tacky.
- Greeting a woman, a man can slightly bow.
Punctuality is a must. You should come to meetings on time or a little earlier. If you are going to be late call your companion and apologize.
- Compliment people more often. Your companion will be pleased, and you can demonstrate your power of observation, your ability to see details, and your sincere interest in your companion.
3. Men and women
- The rules of common courtesy say that in order to meet someone there always should be a mediator. For example, a common friend, who can be asked to introduce certain people to each other.
- A man should never hold a woman's purse. Even if he just wants to help. A man can take a woman's coat only to take it to the cloakroom.
The right clothes can boost confidence and help make a good impression on others. It doesn't mean that you should buy expensive clothing. For example, for a man, it's very important to always have perfectly clean shoes and a well-fitting jacket.
Don't buy clothes with improper shoulder lengths. All parts of a suit should be the same style and in your proper size.
A jacket sleeve should cover your wrist, but it shouldn't cover the lower joint of your thumb.
According to the rules of etiquette, the lower button of the jacket should be unbuttoned. It's necessary to find a jacket that suits your body type:
- If you want to emphasize your figure, choose a slim-fit jacket.
- If you want to look more impressive, choose a double-breasted jacket.
It's also very important to find suitable clothes for a woman's style. As a rule, it's recommended that a woman choose a dark skirt or trousers and a light top (jacket, blouse). This combination emphasizes their figure and looks elegant and modest.
- Modesty is also important in wearing jewelry. A lot of jewelry in different styles demonstrates its owner's poor taste.
5. At the table
If you are invited to a table and there are some people that you don't know, don't talk to them before you are introduced to each other, it's not polite.
- Pay attention to your hands as well. Don't put them on the table, it's better to keep them on your lap. Putting your phone on the table means that you're not interested in conversation.
6. How to sit correctly
Good posture and leg position while sitting are crucial. If you sit in a low armchair, don't put one leg over the other one. Keep your knees close to each other and your legs parallel. You can also use a royal trick called the "Cambridge cross" - put one foot behind the other, crossing your ankles. It may help you to feel like a queen.
7. At a restaurant
If before going to a restaurant you say to your companion, "I invite you," it means that you should pay. The phrase "Let's go to a restaurant together." means that you only pay for yourself.
There are so many different types of cutlery and you don't have to know all of them. However, there are a few basic ones that you should memorize:
1 — A napkin (should be put on the lap). 2 — A salad fork. 3 — A fork. 4 — A plate. 5 — A salad plate. 6 — A knife. 7 — A teaspoon. 8 — A soup spoon. 9 — A cup and a saucer (dessert). 10 — A glass for white wine. 11 — A glass for red wine. 12 — A glass for water. 13 — A dessert spoon. 14 — A dessert fork. 15 — A dessert knife. 16 — A plate for bread.
This is important to know in order to give a signal to the waiter and finish your meal properly.
8. Pouring and drinking
For women, it is important to make sure that your lipstick doesn't leave marks on your glass. Dry your lips with a paper tissue before drinking.
- Every person at the table pours their own drinks A man should offer drinks to a woman first.
Don't pour too much, and especially don't overfill wine glasses in order not to spill your drink on your clothes.
9. The most important rules for drinking tea
According to the rules of etiquette, in order to get to know a person better and have a nice conversation, people invite each other for a cup of tea. You shouldn't refuse the offer, it can be considered rude. Just remember a few rules.
Stir you tea carefully, without making sounds with the teaspoon.
You shouldn't leave your spoon in the cup. Rest it on the edge of your saucer. You should never leave the spoon on top of the saucer.
A teacup is held with one hand and a saucer is held with the other one. It's impolite to hold a cup with 2 hands and leave the saucer on the table.
Are you familiar with these rules of etiquette? Do you think is it important to know them nowadays? Share your opinion with us in the comments.