15 Facts About “House of the Dragon,” a TV Series That Shows What Happened 200 Years Before “Game of Thrones”
In May 2019, people watched the last episode of the iconic Game of Thrones TV series. However, fans were not fond of the series finale: more than 1.7 million people signed a petition demanding to reshoot the eighth season. But HBO didn’t yield to these demands and decided that George R. R. Martin’s universe had many other fascinating stories. Therefore, in January, HBO announced that they planned to launch a Game of Thrones prequel called House of the Dragon.
At Bright Side, we can’t wait to see the new series about Westeros inhabitants. And while the series is still in the middle of production, we would like to tell you about what this story will be about.
- The series is based on George R. R. Martin’s fantasy book, Fire & Blood. This story is about the ruling of The Targaryen Dynasty, the ancestors of Daenerys.
- The story will describe the events that happened 2 centuries before Game of Thrones. The creators will explore the strife between members of the Targaryen family and their struggle for power, which led up to the Targaryen civil war known as the “Dance of the Dragons.”
- The main characters are Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen and her half-brother, Aegon. They fight for the Iron Throne after the death of King Viserys I Targaryen. Also, Rhaenyra’s stepmother and uncle take part in the dynasty crisis.
- According to the Targaryen family tree, Rhaenyra is the ancestor of Daenerys Stormborn.
Actress Milly Alcock in the role of young Princess Rhaenyra
- The princess and prince use dragons in their battles, so viewers will be thrilled with the action on the screen.
- Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen is a horse and dragon rider, and she plans to become the first ruling Queen of Westeros. Emma D’Arcy will portray the princess, and Milly Alcock will portray the princess at a young age.
- Princess Rhaenyra’s father, King Viserys I Targaryen, will be portrayed by Paddy Considine.
- King Viserys’s wife, Alicent Hightower, is the most beautiful woman in the kingdom. She’s the princess’s stepmother and the mother of Prince Aegon. She will be portrayed by Olivia Cooke who played Becky Sharp in the Vanity Fair TV series.
Olivia Cooke and Paddy Considine as Queen Alicent and King Viserys I
- The actor who will portray Prince Aegon hasn’t been cast yet.
- Daemon Targaryen is Princess Rhaenyra’s uncle. He’s the king’s younger brother and heir to the throne. This character will be portrayed by Matt Smith who played Prince Philip in the first season of The Crown TV series.
- His ally will be portrayed by the actress of Japanese descent, Sonoya Mizuno. Her character Mysaria came to Westeros from another country.
- The production of the series started in April 2021 and is still going. The filming takes place in Leavesden Studios in England for the most part, where the Harry Potter film series was created. And some episodes were filmed in Spain and Portugal.
- The House of the Dragon soundtrack is being composed by Ramin Djawadi, who won an Emmy for his music in Game of Thrones.
- The official release date hasn’t been announced yet, but the creators say that the series will be finished in 2022.
- The first teaser was released on October 5. Watch it to see how ambitious House of the Dragon is.
Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen (Emma D’Arcy) and Daemon Targaryen (Matt Smith)
Do you want to watch House of the Dragon? Tell us in the comments below.