18 Quotes by John Lennon That Still Strike a Chord in Our Hearts
The world lost John Lennon back in 1980 but his music and poetry are still living in our hearts. His words about love, life, and peace he left for us decades ago still sound relevant as they ever were and help us believe in our better selves and a better future.
Here at Bright Side, we want to remember this ingenious musician and great dreamer by sharing his most powerful quotes with you.
- We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.
- When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy”. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.
- Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
- It matters not who you love, where you love, why you love, when you love or how you love, it matters only that you love.
- If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there’d be peace.
- Declare it. Just the same way we declare war. That is how we will have peace...we just need to declare it.
- Peace is not something you wish for; it’s something you make, something you do, something you are, and something you give away.
- Trying to please everybody is impossible — if you did that, you’d end up in the middle with nobody liking you. You’ve just got to make the decision about what you think is your best, and do it.
- I believe in everything until it’s disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it’s in your mind. Who’s to say that dreams and nightmares aren’t as real as the here and now?
- If someone thinks that peace and love are just a cliché that must have been left behind in the ’60s, that’s a problem. Peace and love are eternal.
- Only by trying on other people’s clothes do we find what size we are.
- Happiness is just how you feel when you don’t feel miserable.
- We’ve got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can’t just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it’s going to get on by itself. You’ve got to keep watering it. You’ve got to really look after it and nurture it.
- When you do something noble and beautiful and nobody noticed, do not be sad. For the sun every morning is a beautiful spectacle and yet most of the audience still sleeps.
Which of these quotes echo in your soul the most? Do you think John Lennon’s words are still relatable to the world we’re living in today?
Preview photo credit Fred Ross / Getty Images