25 People Who Were Bold Enough to Make Huge Changes to Their Lives
People’s nature is to be able to get used to anything and at the same time be afraid of change. The people from this compilation realized that changes don’t happen on their own and they managed to find the power to quit a job they hated, to get the body they wanted, or get a haircut for the first time in 17 years.
We at Bright Side hope that the stories of people from this compilation will be a good example for others who want something different, but are afraid.
1. “I don’t have use of my hands so I paint with my mouth. This was my first oil and animal painting.”
2. “I have a year of sobriety today for very first time in my life!”
3. “13 years ago, I started medical school. I walked out today a heart and lung surgeon. Today, I am happy!”
4. “3 years ago, I had my first solo gig, where there were 5 people in the audience and I was nervous as hell. Last night, I played a gig in front of over 1,000 people and loved every single second.”
5. “I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 8 years old and have always been severely near-sighted. I just got laser eye surgery and now have 20/20 vision. I cried the first time I realized I could see all the leaves in the trees without my glasses. It’s a good day.”
6. “4 years ago my brother and I decided to follow our passion and start a furniture company. Last month we won our first award! It’s not much but we are super excited!!”
7. “This is my little brother Matthew (18). At 6 weeks old he was told he’d never be able to walk and would be stuck in a wheelchair his whole life. 2 months ago he was told it was possible. This is him, one month into training alongside me, walking a full 40 yards without any support.”
8. “I said yesterday I would make my apartment livable again and I did it! Bye-bye, depression.”
9. “My super awesome dad just got his Ph.D. (the first doctor in the family, grew up dirt poor) and I’m so proud of him I just had to tell someone. Seriously Pops, you are, by far, the man I respect the most.”
10. “After 32 long years of dreaming, I finally rescued my first pup. Meet Honey.”
11. “After a year of living on the streets, Phil has landed a job at McDonald’s — thanks in part to the Tallahassee police officer who gave him a shave and fresh clothes before his interview.”
12. “Quit my job 30 minutes ago after being miserable and depressed for the last 3 years and having put up with some of the worst people and management I’ve ever dealt with in my life. So happy right now. Literally cried tears of joy and relief.”
13. “After 30 years of smoking I finally had enough.”
14. “My first haircut in 17 years!”
15. “My father, after losing both of his legs in 2018, walked again in 2019.”
16. “I’m active! I eat around 1600 calories a day on a diet. I do cardio and weight training. Whatever you set your mind to you can achieve and I promise you that!”
17. “My boyfriend recently quit his job to become a full-time artist. Since then, he has worked with a Canadian brewery to illustrate their beer cans.”
18. “I was laid off from a long-term job recently and 2 days later decided to do something ‘crazy.’ So at 35 years old I rented a longboard — and caught my first wave. I feel alive again.”
19. A visually impaired girl finished law school. Her mother (on the right) also got an award for preparing her daughter for every exam: She read all her law books to her for 4 years in a row.
20. “Feeling like a brand new lady 3 weeks post-op!”
21. “I left an abusive marriage with a 6-month-old baby, moved in with my parents, and worked to establish myself as an artist. Now my son is 8, I’m doing what I love, and today we moved into our first house together. Just us, conquering the world.”
22. This girl lost 150 lbs in 3 years. Start now, don’t wait any longer.
23. “I was sick of everything about 6 months ago and decided to drop it all and build a tiny home. After some headaches and some heartaches, I’m finally almost finished! I proudly present to you my CozyCasa.”
24. “It’s been 5 years since I tried to end my life at 17. The stigma I saw in hospitals for BPD broke my heart & made me vow I’d do everything in my power to one day be the person helping those who are vulnerable. At 22 I’m just about to start my first placement as a Mental Health nurse.”
25. He decided he wanted to lose weight and his friend made sure he was there every day to help him. Not there yet, but he’s closer than he was yesterday.
Is there something about your life that you would like to change?
Preview photo credit JaneX9 / reddit