10+ Actors Who Portrayed the Opposite Gender and Were Totally Unrecognizable
Cinema’s enchantment lies in its power to make the unreal seem authentic. Actors must master every aspect of their character, from makeup and prosthetics to voice modulation and body language, to deliver a memorable performance. Some actors have even taken on the daunting task of portraying characters of the opposite gender, a remarkable and challenging feat that only a select few have achieved with exceptional success.
1. Patrick Swayze in To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything!
2. Amanda Bynes in She’s the Man
3. Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare In Love
4. Martin Lawrence in Big Momma’s House
5. Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future Part II
6. Hugo Weaving in Cloud Atlas
7. Cillian Murphy in Breakfast On Pluto
8. Meryl Streep in Angels in America
9. Jeffrey Tambor in Transparent
10. John Travolta in Hairspray
11. Tilda Swinton in Suspiria
For more drastic transformations, take a look at these articles: