18 Unusual Kitchen Tools We’ve Likely Never Seen Before
There’s hardly a single person who hasn’t heard of simple kitchen tools, such as a peeler or a skimmer. Each tool is designed to make the cooking process easier, and they all have their purpose. However, unusual items can be found in the culinary world, and it’s not that easy to find any information about them.
We at Bright Side couldn’t have even imagined that some of the items in the article even existed. Therefore, we simply have to introduce them to you.
1. “I found this in an old silverware set. It’s a little shorter than a teaspoon, and the bottom edge is not sharp at all.”
Answer: This is a citrus peeler for oranges, grapefruits, lemons, limes, etc.
2. “What is this small solid plastic tool I found in our old family cottage’s kitchen drawer?”
Answer: This is a pumpkin carving scoop. The indent in the center is for a kid’s thumb.
3. “I’ve had this kitchen utensil forever, I just don’t know what it does or how to use it.”
Answer: This is a corn stripper.
4. “A steel kitchen utensil with a wooden handle”
Answer: It’s a meat holder.
5. “What’s this kitchen item? It’s about the right size to hold an orange with 5 pointy spikes.”
Answer: It’s a holder for fruits and veggies to be sliced on a mandoline food slicer.
6. “I found this tool in the kitchen drawer. Wondering what it’s used for. There’s no writing or logos on it.”
Answer: It’s a bottle/jar opener designed to fit various jar lid sizes.
7. “This weird pair of tweezers — it’s probably a kitchen tool.”
Answer: Looks like it’s for squeezing lemon pieces to catch seeds.
8. “I just bought a house and this weird triangle holder thingy is by my kitchen sink. What is it?”
Answer: It’s a dish towel holder.
9. “What is this thing in my kitchen? It has a flat edge and it isn’t sharp.”
Answer: It’s a sharpener for smooth blade shears. The idea is to run it along the blade at an angle to get out any micro nicks.
10. “I found this while cleaning out the flat kitchen. It’s 8 inches long and the middle bit is a spring.”
Answer: It’s an ice tapper.
11. “What is this odd serrated knife? It’s about 10 inches long, was found in a kitchen, and the serration of each section goes in opposite directions.”
Answer: It’s a frozen food knife!
12. “I bought this today at a flea market in a box with kitchen tools because it looked nice. Can you help me identify its purpose?”
Answer: It’s a toast rack, used to serve up toast on a table.
13. “What is this tool that came in my assorted kitchen bundle?”
Answer: This is a fish scale remover.
14. “I’m told this is a kitchen utensil, but none of us can figure out what it’s actually for. Can you help?”
Answer: This is an aluminum bar that you use like soap to remove the onion smell from your hands.
15. “I found this while cleaning the kitchen. When pressed, a little spike comes out of the hole. What is this?”
Answer: It’s an egg piercer. It helps keep the egg from cracking during boiling.
16. “This came in a box of kitchen utensils.”
Answer: It’s a pastry crimping tool. It’s used on the edge of pie crust to create a decorative seam or to cut and put an edge on ravioli.
17. “What is this thing? A kitchen tool of some kind? Or something for yarn maybe?”
18. “What is this strange kitchen utensil?”
Answer: It’s a crab cracker.
Have you ever come across items or tools with purposes you couldn’t identify? Tell us in the comments below.