22 Mysterious Finds That Would’ve Remained Unsolved If Not for the Help of the Internet
Every once in a while you find objects that — no matter how hard you try — you can’t identify. A line of staples taped to your library book or a piece of orange tape nailed to the pavement, they turn into real mysteries that you can’t let go of until they have been solved. Luckily there are many helpful people on the internet that turn out to have the answer to your head-scratcher.
At Bright Side we love solving riddles, so we’ve collected 22 of them here. The people sharing these mysteries were lucky enough to find some answers, but can you help us out with the unsolved problem in the bonus section?
1. “Found in a library book. Tape over staples?”
2. “I was cutting my watermelon and was confused when I saw these hard stems inside, does anyone know what they are?”
That happens when the watermelon gets stressed during growing. It was likely due to drought that the fruit got messed up inside. It’s technically edible, but likely doesn’t taste very good. © Sirlancelotmn
3. “A handle with 2 flat, crescent-shaped pieces of metal with corrugated edges, with the concave parts facing each other.”
4. “Found this in a public park. Everything not screened in is removable. What is it for?”
It’s a bee and bughouse filled with different materials for lone bugs to overwinter. © MammieisQueen
5. “What is this plastic rack used for? Stands about 3 ft high.”
6. “What is the purpose of the metal plates on the ground in front of these water fountains?”
7. “Found these in my cooked spaghetti. The sauce was canned.”
8. “I bought a used guitar and it came with this plastic pouch which has a pick inside and this other thing. It’s too short to be an extra string.”
My guess is that it is an extra string for a different instrument (probably a ukulele). You mention that you bought the guitar used. If it was purchased from a music shop, they might have thrown that in so you had a pick and they didn’t really care about a random string. As a string instrument player, I have had plenty of little packets like that laying around. © Rentauskas
9. “I have a long list of things that this is NOT — but I have no idea what it is.”
10. “Found in my building’s recycling — Sailing / marine gear? Cat toy?”
11. “Orange tape nailed to pavement with orange triangle and sometimes a number”
Surveyors control point. Surveyors will typically establish several control points just outside of the proposed work area that are a fixed location that will not likely change during construction. These points are usually GPS located and have a fixed elevation. It’s a way for the construction crews to have a way to verify that what they are building is located in the correct place and built to the right height. © stardustdriveinTN
12. “About the size of a ping pong ball, hollow like one too. Found in the woods.”
13. “Purchased these herbs in Hong Kong for soups and drinks, but don’t know what they are exactly.”
14. “What is this bubbly stuff coming out of this banana? It split open by itself, like it’s under pressure.”
15. “My old roommate forgot this in a kitchen drawer when they moved out, what is it?”
16. “A weird strainer-type thing sent to us without an identifiable return address”
It’s a gyro bowl for kids’ snacks. I have many of them. Toddlers can walk around with the snacks in the bowl and they stay level while they walk around and don’t fall out. Don’t worry, kids will still find a way to spill anything. © knoxiusgero
17. “This cable came in a baggie with my new laptop and it has no mention of it in the set up guide. What is this thing?”
18. “Weird plastic item with 2 points at each end, 2 different sizes. Fork for scale.”
19. “Looks like a dough blender, but the bar across the middle makes it otherwise.”
Pretty sure this is one of those rocker-chopping motion food choppers. © bwmlax
20. “Found this while cleaning. It’s fairly small, just over 1”. Any ideas or suggestions as to what it may be are much appreciated!"
21. “What’s this metal lump? It shines very bright under light and is almost blinding to look at.”
22. “I found this blue disc in a packet of sour cream chips.”
BONUS: This one isn’t solved yet. Can you help us out?
“There’s something between the glass in my nail polish. Wasn’t there last time I looked. What could it be?”
Do you also have an object that you would like to identify with the help of other Bright Siders? Or can you maybe solve the mystery from the bonus? Let us know what you think it might be in the comments!