20+ Things We Were Crazy About in the 2000s That Make Us Blush With Shame Today
The 2000s became imprinted in our memory with bold makeup ideas, outfits that don’t have even a drop of logic in them, and real technical progress — everyone had a mobile phone, an Mp3 player, and maybe even a small netbook. Now, people are much more advanced in terms of technology, and you won’t surprise anyone with gadgets or fashionable things. Then, we were open to the world and were discovering more of it every day. And apparently, we liked to test our strength.
We at Bright Side decided to get nostalgic and remember ourselves in the 2000s. What then seemed to us to be unrealistically cool, now only causes an indulgent smile and a little bit of sadness for that reckless youth we’ll never get back. Everyone did these things, and we aren’t one bit ashamed of them.
1. Wore short shorts over tights.
2. Dyed separate hair strands in contrasting colors. Those who weren’t ready for drastic changes used colored mascara.
3. Used paper bags as a second bag and were considered real fashionistas.
4. Got real tattoos on our lower abdomen and lower back. Years later, it was a long and painful process of getting them removed.
5. Published posts that were clearly not written by us, but by our stream of consciousness.
6. Wore shoes that could accommodate a family of 5 people.
7. Dreamed of striped glasses. And some people made their dream come true.
8. Our mobile phone was used for some things and our Mp3 player — for others. And without these guys, it was impossible to leave the house.
9. Used ICQ. It was so touching.
10. We stood at the origins of emoticons.
11. Watched movies whose production cost tens of millions of dollars on a 2-inch iPod.
12. Were in ecstasy from capri pants.
13. Outlined our lips with a dark pencil, boldly going beyond the contour.
14. Collected soda caps and won prizes.
“Caption 1: Please play again.”
“Caption 2: Buy Dew or Pepsi, 20 oz get 1 free.”
15. Stuck to the style of popular subcultures.
16. Used pencils with cartridges. If one gets lost, you lose too.
17. Were in awe of the idea of wearing sunglasses to a party.
18. Went to tanning salons as often as we now go to work. Not everyone looked good with an orange tan, but no one disdained it.
19. Combined micro skirts with leggings.
20. Removed the radio panel so that it wouldn’t get stolen.
21. Packed our phone in a case to be on the safe side.
22. Changed the tape to watch the second part of Titanic.
23. Recorded CDs with music on our home computers and wrote the title and sequence of the songs with a marker.
24. Brought selfies in the mirror into fashion. But we did it with the help of our first cameras.
25. Rolled our hair up into a bun and secured it with a worthy decoration — a spectacular claw hairpin.
What do you remember about the 2000s?