My Husband Is Asking Me to Change My Habits While His Mom Is Staying With Us
Sometimes young people tend to have disputes with their parents regarding their looks. The older generations don’t always understand modern trends and on the flip side, younger people don’t get why their parents are so conservative. But what do you do if your in-laws are not satisfied with your looks? Is it better to conform or to just be yourself? Today we would like to discuss this issue shared by our reader.
So we at Bright Side are discussing the story we received from Megan, who is having a dispute with her husband because her mother-in-law doesn’t like her outfits.
Dear Megan, we have discussed your case with the Bright Side team and below are the suggestions we can make to you.
- You should understand that our parents and grandparents are people who are part of older generations. It is hard for them to accept modern lifestyles, considering the fact that they’ve spent their whole life living differently. There are a lot of things from the past that we may question as a younger generation, and there are also a lot of things in our lives that the older generation may question.
- Try to be flexible. Your mother-in-law is only staying for one month. She probably doesn’t have a big house with a pool, and her son wants her to enjoy it in your house and wants to make her stay with you pleasurable. Try to put yourself in his shoes. Maybe if your mom comes as a guest, and he does something that she cannot accept, you would also ask him to stop it for a while.
- Wearing revealing clothing is not for everyone. And it doesn’t always depend on your age. We all have been raised with different values and have different mindsets. So for some people, it is okay to wear revealing clothing and see others do it, but for some people, it’s not.
- Try to speak with your mother-in-law about it in a friendly way. Show her that you care about her feelings and respect them, but also describe your point of view. Maybe after a friendly chat, she will soften up, and you will find a compromise, or at least she will understand that you have good intentions and don’t want to insult her in any way.
- This might be a time to ask yourself why you can only relax if you’re wearing a bikini? Maybe you are too focused on it, and it stops you from getting proper rest? Next time, try to guide your mind in a different direction while swimming or sunbathing. Maybe you should try some meditation that will help you focus on your inner self, so you can forget about the things that irritate you and really relax.
Is it okay for you to wear revealing clothes in the presence of your in-laws? Who do you think is right here?