21 People Who Went Back to Natural Hair and Embraced Their Curls With Unshakable Pride
We’ve seen countless movies that feature the protagonist undergoing a makeover in order to turn from an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan. The transformation usually involves straightening what seems to be an uncontrollable curly mane. This misconception has led many people to try to hide their trademark locks in a ponytail or under a hat, feeling ashamed of this unique feature.
Bright Side wants to inspire everyone to acknowledge their own beauty, let their hair loose, and take a look at the pics Internet users have posted who’ve decided to embrace their curly ways. Make sure you check the treat we have added in the bonus section.
1. “Can’t believe I used to prefer my hair long and straight over short and curly!”
2. “4-year transformation: all from learning how to take care of my curls.”
3. “Chopped off my hair and haven’t looked back since.”
4. “Almost 1 year later — I’ve finally ditched chemically straightening my hair and embraced my curly roots.”
5. “First good curl day in a long friggin’ time!”
6. “Why didn’t anyone tell me that all I needed was a gel cast?”
7. “Wore my natural hair for a job interview for the first time!”
8. “Progress picture: 1 year”
9. “July 2019 vs September 2020 — natural hair.”
10. “The magic of curly hair methods and products!”
11. “It’s the first time my curls have felt fine in so long.”
12. “Today is my 3-year anniversary of being more relaxed and heat-free.”
“Let us rejoice at the difference and how good it feels to love your hair the way it grows out of your head!”
13. “So happy I decided to go natural for my wedding back in June!”
14. A fierce look to match those fierce curls!
“I would never post photos of a meh hair day, of which I have many. I used to be really insecure about my hair because I was like, why doesn’t it look like people’s photos online?? Until I realized that people pretty much only post photos of their best hair days 😆 The good days come more frequently though when you learn what your hair likes!”
15. “I tried the ’medusa’ for sleeping. Really lives up to the name.”
16. “Decent day 4 hair!”
17. “My curls have never been prettier.”
18. “My mom showing me her curly hair method, 1997”
19. “I hid my curls my whole life. Now I embrace them!”
“I wish I had known how to take care of my hair years ago... I went from lifeless, weighed down, dead hair that desperately needed a trim to bouncy healthy curls! All it took was the right products, a trim, and learning how to use a diffuser!”
20. “Freshly showered and dry after using my microfiber towel and curly hair method! I never knew my natural curl pattern was like this!”
21. Natural hair to show your natural self
Bonus: a curly hair method in easy steps for beginners:
- Cleanse: Use a sulfate-free shampoo to wash your hair and massage your scalp before you rinse.
- Condition: Apply some conditioner to the palm of your hand and slide your hands down your hair while smoothing it in sections. Make sure that you don’t rinse out all of the conditioner.
- Style: Scrunch a palmful of gel from roots to ends.
- Dry: Blot-dry your hair using a cotton towel or T-shirt.
Don’ts: Try to avoid shampoos that contain sulfates as well as appliances that need heat to style your hair, such as blow dryers, hair straighteners, and curling irons. Also, say goodbye to combs and brushes.
Are you ready to hop on the curly hair movement? Feel free to show us pics of what your curly hair looks like — and remember, “bad hair days” are over!