6 Recipes for the Famous Shampoo Tablets to Make Your Hair Shiny and Supple
Solid shampoo is great! It’s the best option for traveling, since you can put it in your carry-on baggage and it won’t spill. Not to mention that it helps you save money and takes up less space in the shower. And also — you can make it at home! By adding organic ingredients specifically formulated for your type of scalp and hair, you avoid the parabens and toxic substances used in mass-market shampoos.
Here at Bright Side we really support a do-it-yourself culture, so we’ve gathered 6 simple recipes for shampoo tablets that you can easily repeat at home. You can thank us later!
1. Basic formula for smooth hair
- A fresh sprig of rosemary
- 17 oz glycerin soap, chopped or grated
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1 oz almond oil
- 5 oz mineral water
1. Create a water bath using a double boiler, and when the water is warmed up — add the glycerin soap and water it until it all melts together.
2. Add in the rosemary, the lemon juice, and the almond oil, continue stirring until the soap is totally melted. You can also add a little bit of aloe gel to the mixture for extra hydration.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat. It is better to pour it into the soap molds while it’s still warm.
4. Let the soap harden in the mold for 24 hours and put a layer of paraffin paper on it so that no dust sticks to it. In 24 hours, the tablets are ready to use!
2. Lavender for calming the scalp
5 oz lye (also called sodium hydroxide)
8 oz castor oil
9 oz coconut oil
9 oz palm oil
10 oz distilled water
- 1 oz lavender essential oil
1 oz tea tree oil
1. Wear gloves during the whole procedure and set up your work area so you have good ventilation. Mix the distilled water and the lye in a glass bowl and stir it — make sure to add the lye to the water, and not vice versa. The mixture will heat up by itself, so don’t worry, this is totally normal.
2. Mix the natural oils (with the exception of the essential oils) in a stainless steel cup and heat them to 100-120°F.
3. Once the 2 mixtures are at approximately the same temperature, add the lye/water mixture to the oils — we suggest using an immersion blender to mix it well. The mixture is done when the soap mixture sits on the surface for 2-5 seconds before blending back into the whole mixture.
4. Add the essential oils, mix it, and pour the entire mixture into silicone molds. Cover the molds with a towel and let them sit for 24 hours.
5. After 24 hours remove the tablets from the molds and enjoy your natural shampoo!
3. Orange and peppermint for freshness
- 8 oz glycerin soap base
- 0.5 oz avocado butter
- 1 oz coconut oil
- 10 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 10 drops orange essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Spray bottle of rubbing alcohol (optional)
1. Cut the soap base into cubes and melt it by using the double boiler technique — put a pot of water on medium heat. Put the soap cubes into a glass bowl and put it in the pot. Stir the soap base until it’s all melted and then add the avocado butter to it. Stir again until it’s all melted and remove it from the heat.
2. Add the coconut oil to the mix and stir it.
3. Add the essential oils. Add 10 drops of each — grapefruit, orange, and peppermint essential oil to the soap mix.
4. Add the orange zest.
5. Take out the mold and spray it with rubbing alcohol. This will ease separating the shampoo tablets from the mold once they’ve solidified.
6. Pour the mix into the mold. Spray the top with the rubbing alcohol too.
7. After approximately 24 hours, take the tablets out of the molds and enjoy!
4. Rosemary and mint for energizing
- 5 oz lye (also called sodium hydroxide)
- 10 oz distilled water
- 9 oz castor oil
- 9 oz coconut oil
- 9 oz palm oil
- 1 oz rosemary essential oil
- 1 oz mint essential oil
- peppermint leaf (optional)
1. Wear gloves, goggles, and long sleeves. Mix the distilled water and the lye in a glass bowl and stir it — make sure to add the lye to the water, and not vice versa. The mixture needs to cool for 15 to 20 minutes until the temperature drops to around 100 to 120°F.
2. Melt the coconut oil on the stovetop over medium heat and combine it with the other oils (except for the essential oils). The temperature should rise up to around 90 to 100°F.
3. Add the lye mix into the oils and stir it with a stick (or immersion blender), mix until it’s all well-blended.
4. Add the essential oils (and peppermint leaf) and mix it well. Add the mixture to the mold and cover it with a towel. Let the soap sit for 24 hours, then remove the tablets from the mold and enjoy!
5. Shampoo tablet without lye
- 16 oz organic goat’s milk glycerin soap base (vegan option — shea butter soap base or cocoa butter soap base)
- 1 oz castor oil
- 0.5 oz shea butter
- 15 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops bergamot essential oil
spray bottle of rubbing alcohol (optional)
1. Chop up your Melt & Pour Soap Base and let it melt using a double boiler method.
2. Remove from heat and add shea butter, castor oil, and your essential oils blend.
3. Spray the soap mold with rubbing alcohol, pour the mixture into the mold, and spray again to prevent air bubbles.
4. Let it cool for 24 hours, then remove your shampoo tablets from the mold — they’re ready to use!
6. Dead sea mud for renewing
- 8 oz olive oil
- 3 oz argan oil
- 6 oz coconut oil
- 1 oz jojoba oil
- 2.5 oz shea butter
- 3 oz palm oil
- 1.5 oz dead sea mud
- 1 oz vitamin E
- 0.5 oz bergamot essential oil
- 0.7 oz spearmint essential oil
- 6 oz distilled water
- 3.2 oz lye
1. In a heavy-duty glass pitcher or stainless steel pot, slowly add your lye to the distilled water, mix it until the mixture is smooth — make sure to add the lye to the water, and not vice versa. Let it cool to 100 to 120°F.
2. Heat the solid oils and butters until they`re fully melted. Add the other oils (except for the essential oils) and vitamin E. Mix it and let it cool to 100 to 120°F.
3. Add the oil mixture into the lye, start stirring with a large whisk or immersion blender immediately, and mix until it’s all well-blended. Add the dead sea mud and essential oils until the mixture is smooth.
4. Carefully pour the mixture into the molds. Let it sit for at least 24 hours, then remove your shampoo tablets from the mold — they’re ready to use!
Do you buy shampoo or do you make it yourself? Share your favorite handmade recipe with us — we`d be happy to hear from you in the comment section below!