8 Times People Wore Things That Had Deep Meaning
Celebrities have a talent for choosing stylish outfits. They always have outstanding style and know how to make our jaws drop. But sometimes, their clothes are more than just an outfit. They’re an expression of who they are and the causes they care about. Today, we’ve compiled a list of celebrities who wore things with great meaning beneath the surface.
1. Emma Watson wore a dress made from recycled plastic bottles.
“I am proud to say it is truly sustainable and represents a connection between myself and all the people in the supply chain who played a role in creating it,” Emma captioned her picture.
“The body of the gown is crafted from 3 different fabrics, all woven from yarns made from recycled plastic bottles,” she added.
2. Billie Eilish wore a shirt that highlights environmental advocacy.
Eilish has made a conscious effort to use her platform to promote environmentalism through her fashion choices, like wearing a shirt emblazoned with the message “no music on a dead planet.”
3. Harry Styles wore a dress to challenge gender norms.
In a way, clothes are a symbol of who we are and how we’d like the world to perceive us. Like movies and music, fashion is an expression of art and shouldn’t be dictated by gender and traditional stereotypes.
4. Beyoncé has used her clothing to pay homage to her African heritage.
Beyoncé is a strong advocate for the African-American community. She has always been outspoken about her pride in her heritage, and she frequently pays homage to it through music, fashion, and appearances.
5. Lorde sewed a feminist poem to the back of her Grammy dress.
Here’s what the poem reads:
6. Livia Firth wore a dress made out of recycled plastic bottles.
Livia decided to step it up. “I realized, now I have to challenge the big designers and the big celebrities,” she explained. “It was a really sexy dress, like a sculpture,” she says. ‘At the after-party, Salma Hayek and François-Henri Pinault were like, ‘What do you mean it’s made out of recycled plastic bottles?!’ she added.
7. Meryl Streep also wore a dress made of recycled plastic bottles.
8. Saoirse Ronan wore a dress made from leftover fabric from another dress.
Saoirse Ronan’s Oscar gown was crafted using recycled fabric from her previous BAFTA ensemble, demonstrating her commitment to sustainable fashion.
What was your favorite outfit? Do you have an item of clothing that has a special meaning?