33 Quotes From Winston Churchill That Can Help You Get Up Off Your Knees and Win
Winston Churchill, famously known for being a British Prime Minister, did not see his political game go smoothly throughout his career. Believe it or not, he was in and out of office - he had no intentions of climbing the ladder and becoming Prime Minister. He made a lot of enemies because of his views, yet his persistence led him to become the leader of the country during the hard times.
Bright Side made a collection of the former British Prime Minister’s memorable words that could help you get through tough times.
- Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
- Things are not always right because they are hard, but if they are right one must not mind if they are also hard.
You must put your head into the lion’s mouth if the performance is to be a success.
- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
It is no use saying, “We are doing our best.” You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
- To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
- A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.
- Kites rise highest against the wind — not with it.
No idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered with a searching, but at the same time a steady eye.
- You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Sure I am of this, that you have only to endure to conquer.
- Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.
- When we look back on all the perils through which we have passed and at the mighty foes that we have laid low and all the dark and deadly designs that we have frustrated, why should we fear for our future? We have come safely through the worst.
- Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.
- We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Never give in — never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense.
- If you’re going through hell, keep going.
- What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?
- It is better to be making the news than taking it; to be an actor rather than a critic.
- Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and the glory of the climb.
- You will make all kinds of mistakes; but as long as you are generous and true, and also fierce, you cannot hurt the world or even seriously distress her.
- Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities because it has been said, it is the quality which guarantees all others.
- Continuous effort — not strength or intelligence — is the key to unlocking our potential.
- History is written by the victors.
- There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not to fear to do or say what you believe to be right.
- It is wonderful what great strides can be made when there is a resolute purpose behind them.
- We shall not fail or falter. We shall not weaken or tire. Neither the sudden shock of battle, nor the long-drawn trials of vigilance and exertion will wear us down. Give us the tools and we will finish the job.
- Difficulties mastered are opportunities won.
- There is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure.
- Play the game for more than you can afford to lose. Only then, will you learn the game.
Which of these Winston Churchill quotes lifts your spirits up the most? Do you know any other inspiring quotes by him?