8 Body Parts That Can Say a Lot About Your Inner Self
Even though the construction of your body is based on our DNA (genetics) rather than our personal aesthetic preference, there are still parts of your body that can convey a lot of things about your personality. Some studies suggest that genetics can determine a lot of things about our future and the way we perceive the world through our genes.
Here at Bright Side, we found 8 scientific studies about body parts that convey some interesting things about our personality. Some people say looks can be deceiving, but if you know the facts, then you’ll see that looks can reveal quite a lot about a person.
1. Nose shape
Each nose is special in its own way. However, according to the study performed by the Journal of Craniofacial Surgery in 2013, the tissue that connects the bones and forms your nose can convey a number of things about one’s personality. The researchers studied almost 1,700 pictures of people’s noses and categorized them all in 14 types. They analyzed the nose shapes and posted their findings.
- People with long noses are very ambitious in their professional lives and are very hardworking people. They tend to be perfectionists and they usually put their professional life first and their personal life second. However, people with shorter noses are very sensitive and loyal individuals. They value feelings more than anything and they would rather be happy in their family than have a successful career.
- People with pointy noses can make great financial advisers because they tend to handle their money very wisely, and people with nose clefts have commitment issues.
- Big nostrils are a sign that someone likes to spend money rather than save it and small nostrils show a strong commitment to personal relationships and family.
2. Face shape
The human face has a very complex structure that can say a lot about the social and personal functions of an individual. Cesare Lombroso, the founder of criminal anthropology, argued that each type of crime can be determined by the facial structure of the person committing it. A study published on Plos One Journal in 2014 took 160 participants and asked them to evaluate the IQ of 80 students both men and women through their photographs alone.
- The study found that people with long faces are known to be highly intelligent individuals while people with a narrow facial structure were emotionally quotient rather than intelligent. The study also found that people with wide faces are more likely to be prejudiced, emotionless, and very successful.
3. Eye color
When Shakespeare made his famous metaphorical statement “the eyes are the window to your soul”, he didn’t expect that centuries later, scientists will support his statement with factual evidence. The study was conducted at the Orebro University in Sweden. Scientists studied the eyes of 428 individuals alongside their personality traits in order to examine whether their eyes reflected their character. They examined the patterns in crypts and the contractions of the lines when the pupils dilated alongside the curve of the iris.
The researchers contended that both the personality and the eye structure are linked to the frontal lobe of the brain that is responsible for forming our personality.
- People with big brown eyes are natural born leaders and highly intelligent individuals and people with extremely dark brown eyes are introverted, mysterious, and secretive.
- People with light blue eyes and a curvy iris have a lot of inner strength and they tend to be very competitive, while people with darker blue eyes are found to possess a lot of physical strength and are very sensitive.
- People with darker eyes are found to be more introverted and mysterious while people with lighter eyes are found to be more outgoing and social.
4. Eye shape
You can tell by someone’s eyes whether they feel happy, sad, emotional, or angry but what you can’t tell by looking at them directly is what personality traits they have. For thousands of years, face-reading experts believed that the shape of your eyes can accurately show the hidden qualities of someone’s character due to the bone structure of the skull.
- People with wide eyes tend to be more expressive and emotional in their personal life. They are very detail-oriented and like to be very cautious, in general.
- Individuals with big eyes tend to be open-minded, intelligent, and friendly.
- When someone’s eyes are small and wide, it means that they are introverted perfectionists.
- People with deep-set eyes tend to be mysterious, observant, and intense.
- Almond-shaped eyes convey passion and romance while people with close-set eyes tend to be intense and persistent individuals.
Not only do our lips have their own unique print just like our fingers, but they also reveal quite a lot about our personality traits to those who know how to read them. Author Jean Haner, an expert in face reading, found that your lips affect your personality and the way you feel toward others and how you behave. Lips show your emotional side and how you act in your personal relationships!
- People with medium size lips that have no exaggerated features tend to be independent in their relationships, appreciate affection, but dislike drama.
- While people with larger lips tend to be very nurturing toward others and put everyone’s needs first.
- People who have wide lips tend to be generous and outgoing and they like catering to their loved one’s needs.
- People with thin lips are known to be more competitive and loners. They sometimes prefer to be alone rather than spend time with other people, but they also like to be recognized by their loved ones for their strong personality traits.
Defined cheekbones are considered to be one of the most attractive features on a person’s face. However, people with thick cheekbones and wide faces tend to have higher levels of testosterone. According to a study published in Science Direct, individuals with larger cheekbones and higher levels of testosterone had more aggressive personalities and they are more likely to become violent. In addition, people with high cheekbones are found to be more arrogant.
- The studies have determined that the more defined someone’s cheekbones are, the more intense their personalities are due to high levels of testosterone.
Have you ever looked at your fingers and wondered why your ring finger is longer than your index finger or vice versa? Well, look no further than this paragraph. According to a study, the length of your fingers shows the levels of testosterone you were exposed to as a fetus in the uterus and there is more to the study that you can read about by following the link.
- If your ring finger is longer than your index finger this means that you are a very charming individual and you tend to take more risks in both your personal and professional life.
- If your index finger is longer than your ring finger, this means that you are a natural born leader.
- And finally, if your ring finger and your index finger are the same lengths this means that you are a good communicator and you know how to keep the balance.
Not only do our fingers have some marvelous things to tell us about our personality but so do our hands. According to the American Academy of Hand Analysis, all hands have a unique structure that it is almost impossible to find in someone else’s hands. Just like our lips and fingers, our hands have their own unique print.
The best way to see this is by lifting the hand you consider the strongest and have the palm facing your way.
- If your fingers seem far apart from each other (more than 0.5 cm), this means that you love exploring and experimenting with new things.
If your fingers are closely positioned next to each other (less than 0.5 cm), this means that you are cautious and very well-organized.
What do you think about these findings? Do you think they apply to you? Please let us know in the comments section below and don’t forget to share this article with your family and friends!
Illustrated by Daniil Shubin for BrightSide.me