20 Stories That Prove Adoption Can Be a Story Full of Joyful Tears
If you haven’t experienced adoption firsthand, you may not understand what it means to have an adopted child safe at home after completing all the paperwork, or what it means to be reunited with a birth family member after a long time. Some Internet users tell their heartwarming stories, others share photos of their birth parents, and some even recount the details of the day they were adopted.
Bright Side is featuring 20 stories from people who shared their experiences going through the adoption process firsthand.
1. “I revisited my birth father in Russia recently who never knew I existed until I found him in 2013.”
2. “After 30 years, I found my birth mother.”
3. “Yesterday was the 1-year anniversary of adopting our foster daughter. I’m grateful for the honor.”
4. “6 years and 2 adoptions later, the only thing that changed was last names and the amount of memories.”
5. “After 20 years of searching, I found my mom and siblings I never knew I had.”
6. “I can’t believe she is ours.”
7. “Finally met my birth mother after 53 years.”
8. “Brought my son to Guatemala to meet his family.”
9. “I just found out who my biological father was with a DNA kit. Here he is with my sister, who I have now started a relationship with.”
10. “I got adopted today!”
11. “Finally met my birth father!”
12. “I was adopted from Russia when I was 2 years old in New Zealand. I found my birth parents in 2013 for the first time and now I’m helping others adopted around the world.”
13. “I got adopted as an adult today!”
14. “When I met my biological family”
15. “Met my birth mom this weekend. It’s been 23 years since she has seen me, and last time I was 48 hours old.”
16. “Met my biological sister today (made possible by a DNA test)!”
17. “I always knew I was an adopted child. My parents never were shy about me having knowledge of it.”
“I had a girlfriend who was interested in ancestry. She had bought me an AncestryDNA kit for her own curiosity. A few weeks ago I received a message through Facebook Messenger from someone saying we were connected on AncestryDNA as close family and she was wondering how we would be related. I sat on the message for a couple of days then figured I would write back that I have no history due to being an adopted child. She replied back that her sister had a son that was put up for adoption.
I didn’t know how to feel. I found out that I have 2 brothers and a sister. I found out that I have aunts, uncles, and first cousins that even live near me. That was a shock to find out given I live 4 hours away from where I was born and grew up. I have since made a connection with my younger sister.”
18. “Met my biological father the other day for the first time.”
19. “Met my biological father after 22 years and he got to meet his grandson for the first time.”
20. “My brother was put up for adoption at birth, 22 years later we’re living together, making up for lost years.”
What adoption story moves your heart? What do you admire most about people who choose to adopt?