20+ Wise Mothers-in-Law Who Didn’t Want to Fight With Their Daughters-in-Law Like Cats and Dogs
For some reason, the myth about the mother-in-law who has a bad temper and hates her daughter-in-law is just as resilient as short stories about the evil mother of the wife. But the husband’s mother could actually become a loyal friend, advisor, and helper on the way to family happiness.
We at Bright Side are indignant at the stereotypes about mothers-in-law and found confirmation of the fact that most of them aren’t even thinking of how they can somehow hurt their daughters-in-law. As a bonus, we’ll share how you can become such a great mother-in-law that daughters-in-law will proudly tell their girlfriends about you.
- To begin with, my mother-in-law told her son that I need to hire a helper at home. And she was a working woman herself, all her life. She tried to give us money, so we could buy our first real piece of property. But her main gift for me is her son. She raised him in such a way that he became a great husband. He can cook, clean, take care of our kids, and he does everything that needs to be done, so I can feel like a queen. © Bhakti / Quora
- Our kids have been staying with my husband’s parents for a week. So yesterday, when I asked my mother-in-law how the kids were behaving, she said:
— Very well. But it couldn’t be any different thanks to your upbringing methods.
Oooh, I was filled with pride, because I was expecting to get a bunch of negative remarks. © Chereshnya_A / Twitter
“Our wedding was postponed, and on the day when it was supposed to happen, my mother-in-law arranged this surprise.”
- My mother-in-law is a wonderful woman. She literally just came, took our oldest daughter with her, told me to bring our son to her house after lunch, and even bring their kindergarten clothes with me, so she could do the laundry. She said, “You’re working all week and have to do laundry on the weekends, so let me help you.” She always helps us with everything she can, buying countless presents, toys, and clothes for our kids. © Pofiguel / Pikabu
Once, years before my husband and I got married, his mother and I were shopping, and I noticed a cool dress. But money was tight at that time, so I didn’t buy it. When Christmas came that year, I opened one of my packages from her and saw that very dress. I found out later that she went back to the store later that day and bought it. © Diane Brown / Quora
- My mother-in-law discovered that we were living without living room furniture. She called her friend who owned a furniture store and had a couch, an armchair, a rocking chair, and tables delivered to our place. We used that furniture for nearly 10 years. We tried to pay her back, but her response was, “Don’t even mention that again.” © Karen Johnson / Quora
- In 2008, I went to get a manicure and got in the hands of a lovely woman. She told me that her son lives in Canada, and that she’d love if he had a wife like me. We laughed about it and exchanged phone numbers. Cut to the year 2018, the era of Instagram. Some guy named Sam DMs me, saying that his mom has been telling him about me a lot, but that he wasn’t brave enough to call me, because we’d never met in person. I was shocked and decided to check his Instagram page. And I saw that woman! So we started to chat. Now, I live in Canada with the best husband and mother-in-law. © “Overheard” / Vk
- It feels like she’s closer to me than my own mom. When I was pregnant, she was buying me special maternity clothes. When I gave birth to triplets, she came to our house to cook, clean, and massage my belly and feet. When I’m sick, she brings medicine, cooks dinner, and makes tea. She surrounds us with unconditional love. I aspire to be as good of a mother and grandmother as my mother-in-law. I love her so much. © Ariel Flores / Quora
- My mother-in-law is great! We can’t always relate because we grew up in different countries and we are from different cultures, but she loves how much I love her son. She brags about how great of a daughter-in-law she has to her friends. Of course, sometimes she does some weird things. But who doesn’t? © catiebug / Reddit
- My mother-in-law told me about how she and her husband brought my husband home from the hospital when he was born. And his grandmother, her mother-in-law, came too. She was sitting and holding the baby in her arms, and the kid’s parents started jokingly arguing with each other. So the new mom got warmed up and said:
— Just so you know, he’s not your son!
The young father supported her joke, saying:
— Mom, did you hear what she just said? He’s not my son!
She looked at him and very seriously replied:
— I don’t know whether he’s your son or not, but he’s my grandson and that’s for sure! © “Overheard” / Vk
She was beautiful, elegant, and charming, yet mysterious. I was very nervous the first time I was supposed to meet her and spent a lot of time preparing to make a good impression. When I walked into the room, I was stunned! She had a rare beauty. She moved with grace and spoke with grace, giving meaning to every word. I spent the next 3 years attempting to live up to the woman who became my mother-in-law. Our daughter and her would have been incredibly good friends — she inherited her talent for painting. © Kathleen Pennell / Quora
I remember one time when my husband and I were sophomores in high school and were getting ready to go to a dance. I was at his house, and he asked me to iron his pants while he was in the shower. I was only 15 and I had no idea how to do that. His mom took the pants, put them on the ironing board, and showed me where the crease should be. Then she said, “If he doesn’t like the way you do it, tell him to do it himself.” Then she just walked out of the room and went into the kitchen. © Mary Dabbs / Quora
Once every 2 weeks, my ex-mother-in-law comes to my house. It takes her 3 hours to get to my place, but she always brings a lot of food and presents for the kids. She plays with them and helps with the cleaning. When I come home tired after work, I find dinner on the stove and a fresh salad on the table. All my clothes are cleaned and dry and are waiting for me on my bed. When she sees me, she always hugs and kisses me. And I repay her with the same attitude. When she and my daughter watch a movie together, I come to them, lay down near them, and say, “What are my beloved girls watching?” Once, I even overheard her defending me in front of somebody during a phone conversation. © 33schastyaa / Pikabu
"So, my mother-in-law started taking Photoshop classes."
- She gave me a big present by allowing me to be myself. She welcomed me with open arms into her family. When my husband and I refused to celebrate a holiday with a big and noisy family, we didn’t have to lie and come up with excuses. She cheered me up and was there for me when things were tough. When I had broken my leg, she was the one who went and picked up the wheelchair that I would end up using during the rehabilitation process. And the most important thing she did — she raised a son to be a loving partner, to speak honestly about his feelings and needs, and to listen with compassion and love to mine. She passed away a year and a half ago. I miss her so very much. © Jenny Dybedahl / Quora
- I live in harmony with my mother-in-law, and I even call her mom because she’s completely “my” person. We cook together from time to time. We love each other. If I had a fight with my husband and she finds out about it, she’ll always be on my side. And my husband gets a bit offended and recalls that she’s always wanted a girl, but she ended up giving birth to 2 boys. © Mezy100 / Pikabu
My mother-in-law was a clinical psychologist. I had a difficult childhood and a lot of psychological problems. My mother-in-law took me under her wing and helped me grow up to be self-aware, confident, and fall in love with the world. We spent hours together talking, laughing, and crying. I don’t know what I would have done without her. © June Reister / Quora
- I really want to brag a bit about my mother-in-law. She’s an amazing person, and I’m so lucky to have her in my life! She never interferes in my relationship with my husband, she loves her granddaughter, she’s always ready to give great advice, and she’s an amazing cook. But most of all, I admire her flowers. She’s incredibly talented at that! I could walk around her garden for hours and enjoy the view. Some people plant carrots and beets, and we plant flowers. © Nastasya1985 / Pikabu
- My mother-in-law is a rather secretive person, who would never show her dissatisfaction with anything because of her upbringing. I couldn’t figure out her attitude toward me until our wedding anniversary came. My husband got very sick and was spending the day at home. I’d just returned home from work and heard her saying to him:
— I don’t care if it’s too difficult or not, get up and go buy her flowers. You don’t even have to leave the house, you can order everything online. Do it right now! And clean yourself up, and I’ll help you clean the house.
Then she took a pause and said things that won my unconditional love:
— And never let her feel like she’s unloved. Try hard for her. Your responsibility is to make her happy. If she’s happy, things in your home will be good too. © Solana87 / Pikabu
When I was young, my husband took me to meet his parents. When we were there, I heard some of his family members arguing behind my back, saying that my husband would get tired of me. I ran to another room and started crying. My mother-in-law came in, and I’ll remember what she said for my whole life. She said, “You have a huge advantage — your youth. No matter what these adult women are saying, you have what they don’t — you’re 21.” And many years later, when our long-awaited son was finally born, my mother-in-law said shortly: “I wasn’t wrong about you.” © elllienka / Pikabu
“My mother-in-law painted these nesting dolls that remind of Bowie for me as a birthday gift. They are so beautiful!”
Bonus: How to become a cool mother-in-law
- I’m a cool mother-in-law because my son and I live on different continents. Ha-ha-ha. This is the best option! © Titimoor / Pikabu
- I’m a mother-in-law and I realized that you should imagine that your daughter-in-law is your daughter. Like she was away for a long time, and now she came back to you. And thank God, everything is alright. She loves sleeping in? Well, she inherited it from me! She doesn’t like doing dishes? Of course, who loves doing that? Except for maybe a dishwasher. © uro_da / LiveJournal
- I’ve been a mother-in-law for 2 years. I don’t interfere with the young couple’s life with my advice and moralizing. If they need any help, they can always come to me, but I’m not trying to get inside their family. © Ludok.ast / Pikabu
- My son and I know that we’ll never live together. Close to each other — yes, but never under the same roof. My husband and I have never lived with our in-laws, and our relationships with them are perfect. And I know that I’ll be a great mother-in-law. I get along well with my son’s girlfriend. My son is happy. What else does a mother need? I respect his choice, and they both respect me. © MTV.U / Pikabu
What kind of relationship do you have with your mother-in-law?